Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to post this... but I got in my '13 T3 TDI and not even out of my drive way the transmission just stopped going (I was going maybe 2-4 mph when it happened). Engine revs but it doesn't go. Transmission had a very slight noise just before it stopped working like a metal on metal sliding sound. I can move the lever between R, N and D. But with engine running I can't go into Park at all with engine running. I can go into park with the engine not running.

When in R the R symbol on the gauge cluster flashes between - and R. So I'm guessing there's a shift fault of some type. It almost seems like the clutch packs aren't engaging for some reason.

To ask the dumbest of questions is there a trans dipstick to double check that I'm not oddly low on fluid (never see any leaks or puddles but its worth a check / ask)...

As I'm at 99,000 miles I'll be calling the dealer and hoping it's covered under warranty. But I'm just curious if anyone has ever run into this problem before on a T3.

I've never not seen one go into gear.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You need to do a proper scan on it. It's possible that it's an electronic module type of issue. Typically, when the fault is in the actual transmission, under the scenario you described, it should be stuck in 3rd and still be able to move......

You're also technically under the 10/100 mark, just barely, so you might get really, really lucky..... but I'm sure you'll have to fight for it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it looks like I've resolved this problem. For future reference:

Symptoms: Vehicle suddenly stopped moving while at low speed (2-6 mph) and the engine could freely rev.

Further investigation revealed the following:
No Service Engine Light
No Codes for displayed for a transmission module scan.
When in D reving the engine allowed shifting through the gears up to 3rd, downshifting as well.
When engine is running attempting to put it in P would make a grinding sound.
With engine off car could be put into P with no problem.
In reverse the gear display flashed between - and P.

This was all puzzling to me as I thought I had an internal transmission issue.

Of note the vehicle had just returned from major servicing at the dealer (engine removed and reinstalled to fix oil leaks).

Upon inspection I discovered the center driveshaft was not seated properly (pictures below).

While driving at low speed the load on the spines were low enough that the splined coupling had slid off the splines of the transfer case output shaft.

The odd thing about this (other than the fact I didn't notice it right away) is that no service engine light was one and no codes were set.

Explanation of what happened:

There is a spring clip ring on the end of the splined shaft to lock the drive shaft into position. The dealer technician who serviced the vehicle did not apply enough pressure to slide the shaft into the position where the spring clip locked into place and prevented the driveshaft from moving. Ordinarily there is very little axial force on the drive shaft that the spring clip is enough.

So why did the vehicle rev but not move?

The center differential did not have enough drag to torque bias any torque and thus with the front driveshaft disconnected acted like it was on ice. Therefore with a large drag on the rear wheels and the vehicle in D or R the center differential rotated freely and transmitted no load to the rear wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did. I would rather drive the vehicle there than have it towed. So I decided to give the underside a fresh look just in case. And fresh eyes in good daylight revealed something simple.

Avoided a towing headache. They still have other things to fix....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Odd it didn’t notice wheel speed didn’t match a multiple of transmission or engine speed....

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Different systems engine, trans, and abs don't share that much info to each other. Since the wheel speed sensors weren't moving abs wasn't even aware anything was going on. And the trans input and output sensors where reading what they were supposed to. I think you found the Achilles heel LOL

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not good news in some regard. As a damaged drive shaft will cripple a vehicle that otherwise should go especially with Toresen differentials.

It is just lucky the driveshaft didn't unhook on the highway or in the middle of pulling out into traffic....

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
The torsen center dif is why it does this. With the rear driveshaft disconnected there isn't enough load for it to work at all. If we still had the 4x motion it would move.

And yes you are very lucky

1 - 11 of 11 Posts