Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives and as far as I can tell no one has been able to turn off the TPMS on a T3 Touareg. Has anybody been successful in doing this? If so, please post the procedure. Thank you.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I am curious as to why are you turning off an excellent safety feature?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had planned to mount a set of Hakka R2's on my stock 19" rims for a winter set. I found a set of used 18" wheels with basically brand new snow tires mounted from a former Cayenne owner locally. The wheels don't have TPMS installed and I would prefer not to have to go to the trouble of having the tires dismounted to add the system (especially since the wheels do not exhibit any shake currently). I am fastidious about the mechanical condition of my vehicles and have found that the TPMS sensors read 2-3psi low from an actual reading from a high quality pressure gauge. I don't think relying on a cheap sensor is a replacement for regular inspections of the tires.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Ah, I get it now. Good decisions all round there, especially on the 18 inchers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I probably should have put my reasoning in the original post. I also like that the 18" wheel allows for a 235 width tire with the right load rating. I previously had an X5 with 275/45/20 snow tires and while traction was great, it would tend to float a little in slushy conditions at freeway speeds, especially on the build up between lanes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been trying to figure this out myself. See if I can get away from putting sensors on a second set of tires (for winter).
I actually don't have the tires yet (just a second set of rims, incidentally, from Cayenne also, 17 inches).
Under Vag Com, Controller 17, using long code helper, go to Byte 4. The first option listed would be TPMS on the instrument display. I have unchecked the box, and TPMS option will disappear from the "Vehicle" menu.
I can't confirm whether there will be other errors, because I don't have the tires/wheels to test it out yet. But I am sure you can try it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I won't be able to test it until Thursday or Friday. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
The system shuts off by itself when it doesn't sense the sensors...you won't have the light on the dash or anything, so no need to "turn anything off"

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did buy a set of 18'' rims (after market) and winter tires (they are mandatory here in Quebec from Dec 15 to March 15). I ask the dealer before what will happen if I don't put the TPMS sensors. They told me that the TPMS warning light will be on in the dash. I said is that all ? They said yes. So I can live with it for a few months every year.
I will put my winter tires on in the next few days so I will see what will happen.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
You won't see the light on the dash. It'll show up as a warning in the menu if you look for your tire pressures.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a 2011 which has TPMS on the 20" rims. When snow tires were installed on my 18" rims, the alarm came on the dash for 10 seconds then switched itself off. There was s software changed from 2011 onwards.
Newegg
Im surprised that you still have the warning on the dash

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I have a 2011 which has TPMS on the 20" rims. When snow tires were installed on my 18" rims, the alarm came on the dash for 10 seconds then switched itself off. There was s software changed from 2011 onwards.
Newegg
Im surprised that you still have the warning on the dash
This is exactly what happens. ^^^

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my 2013, with winter wheels without tpms sensors, the alarm light stays on all the time. I haven't tried to disable via VAG.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On my 2013, with winter wheels without tpms sensors, the alarm light stays on all the time. I haven't tried to disable via VAG.
Same in my 2012. However, the summer tires with TPMS are stacked right behind the car. I am thinking that the Touareg picks up the TPMS signals when I start it up in the morning and then registers complete failure every time I drive away. Maybe that causes the light to stay on?

I have not attempted to play with VCDS. The light does not bother me enough.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hello all:
I have a set of 17" OEM rims from a V6 which I had run on my'04 V8. On that vehicle I had disabled the TPMS system completely.
I intend to mount these on my 2013 TDI and will report back what I experience with the warning. If there is a way to use VAG to get rid of the warning or just shut the system down until I re-mount the stock 19's I would like to know.
On our Audi A3 I was able to just shut down the warning light in the instrument cluster without otherwise disturbing the TPMS system.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Has anyone just tried the fuse pull method as used on the previous gen Tregs? I don't mean find the fuse for the TPMS and just pull it. You see what your code is for the TPMS and write it down. Find the fuse then pull it and recoded the TPMS module with the same code. Then when you start the car back up the system should be off. Yes, you won't have an on off in the MFI, but you can just reverse the procedure above in the spring to get it back when you switch wheels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts