Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . how much are you paying?

I had gone by my local dealership, about 5 miles away from me and maybe 1/2 mile from my work, and they charge $109.95 for the Touareg TDI oil change.

I know that the oil change kit from IDParts is $92.50 shipped. I just might throw caution to the wind and let them do the oil changes from now on for an extra $17, I won't have to do it myself. Hmmmmmmm.

How much are dealers charging y'all?

·
Registered
411 Posts
As I recall it was about 20 bucks cheaper to do it yourself. For that price I let the dealer do it. Also advantage to show your face and build good relationships for when you need them.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
At that price, it's a no-brainer - dealer.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course, a touch-O'-paranoia creeps in with the 'What happens if they don't use the vaunted VW 507.00 oil . . . ', then on the other hand I don't have to worry about them overtightening the drain bolt as the previous dealership had already taken care of it and I now have an EcoPlug in.

I agree, for the $17 extra dollars, for me to just drive in and wait, it might just be the definition of "no-brainer."

The best thing about this dealership is that it advertises itself as " . . . going out and finding the prices for all the other dealerships in the area and beating the lowest price."-which I think they have. I was sort of shocked when I saw the $109.95 price for the Touareg TDI oil change but at the same time was happy that they are as low as they are.

Not having to take out the 4 ramps I had made. Taking off all the 10mm bolts to get the skid plate down, the draining, filling, having to pour the old oil, blah-blah-blah, you guys that have done the deed know what I'm talking about. I won't miss it. Hopefully there are no issues and I'll be sure to let them know to NOT do any inspections of anything as I can't stand being told that I need new brake pads and stuff when I know I don't.

·
Registered
210 Posts
$110 is great. I pay around $140 closer to Boston.

First day in the dealership garage for a 5K mile oil change I showed up with a box of coffee. Now they let me pitch a lawn chair in the service bay and watch or creep around and look at whatever I want.

·
Registered
579 Posts
First day in the dealership garage for a 5K mile oil change I showed up with a box of coffee.
I see someone else who did not wait until 10k miles for the first oil change on a new engine, even if it was not included in the free maintenance and they had to pay for it themselves. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did my first oil change at 10,000 KMs (6200 miles) at $157.00 CDN ($113.50 USD) and try to do all of them before 11,000 KMs. With living in a cold climate I believe early changes make sense. Both my TDIs have had zero issues and I have piece of mind.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
$110 is great. I pay around $140 closer to Boston.

First day in the dealership garage for a 5K mile oil change I showed up with a box of coffee. Now they let me pitch a lawn chair in the service bay and watch or creep around and look at whatever I want.
Sod the coffee - donuts, what they REALLY want are DONUTS!

Donuts make the world go round!!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No rings in my donuts! Just full of sticky, squirty, strawberry jam!

"Hell and damnation - that's ANOTHER tie ruined!!"

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
i purchased an extended service contract that goes to and inludes the 50000miles service for a total of $562 .
Interesting. You have 2yr/24k free service so that is a good deal since the 40k service is about $500.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Really? Wow. My 2012 had 3/36 and then it went to 2/24. Now this?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife is having her one, 10,000 mile service done this Wednesday.

For 2016, I have not seen any indication of any more free service(s) at all.

Just another tactic to sell more VW's is all it was.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Just another tactic to sell more VW's is all it was.
It's a good tactic when some competitive vehicles offer it. Then again, if I can get a lower purchase price and pay for service, that's fine, too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I see someone else who did not wait until 10k miles for the first oil change on a new engine, even if it was not included in the free maintenance and they had to pay for it themselves. :)
I actually forgot that I went in at 1500 miles too. Years of BMW M cars where engine oil, transmission and diff fluids are all changed after the moving parts have had some time to get acquainted. I did not do the other fluids that early, waited till 15K on transmission, differential fluid. Probably won't bother with them for at least another 50K. Feel free to call it paranoia, but with planned long term ownership, just gives me peace of mind.

And nooby: brought in donuts another time, and now all the service guys stop calling me crazy to my face ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts