Club Touareg Forum banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2011 VR6 3.6l
48 Posts
Joining the club with heated steering wheel and paddle shifters :) Mine is a VR6 Sport, so it didn't have heat.
Needed 2 parts and 3 connectors as mentioned previously in threads:

1. 4H0953568H (clock spring with heater)
2. 7P6419091T (steering wheel with tiptronic, heat, lane assist motor) Black/gray stitching
3.a N90684405/N90684505 (connector for Clock Spring for Heat) - this is if you have loose wire and crimp yourself
3.b 000979133E/000979225E - VW Repair Wire part #
4.a N90732703 (Fuse Box connector to place into the fuse box from behind) - this is if you have loose wire and crimp yourself
4.b 000979227E - VW Repair Wire part # for fuse box

Initially had issues with no heat on steering wheel, but there was an answer to that in a post by @NSTouaregTDI. Just compiling all the VCDS actions here for future references.

VCDS Things to do:
0. Car will throw lots of errors because of the new clock spring.
1. Recalibrate new Clock Spring (Reference: Rosstech Wiki)
Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Calibration
[Select]
[16 - Steering Wheel]

Turn steering wheel at least 30 ° left or right and back straight ahead (Tolerance: ±0.5 °).

[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168
[Do It!]

[Basic Settings - 04]

Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 3 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]

[Meas. Blocks - 08]

Group 033 Field 3 (Steering Angle Sensor -G85-)
Specification: 0.0 °
Tolerance (when straight): ±0.5 °
[Done, Go Back]

2. Code new Steering Wheel functionalities.

Code that worked for me: 000C35 (Paddle Shifter + Heat, no lane assist)
(Like @NSTouaregTDI mentioned, VCDS will do 000435 if you use the long coding helper.)

3. Code [08-Auto-HVAC] module - to enable Heated Steering wheel from RNS850
[Select]
[08-Auto-HVAC]
[Coding - 07]
[Long Coding Helper]

Go to Byte 1
Check on Bit 7 - (1 -Steering Wheel Heater installed)

4. Restart RNS850 and cycle ignition
Press [Home] + [Climate] + [Volume button] +[Nav] + [Traffic]
Radio should turn off and restart

5. Verify and Change Power to Steering Wheel for heat
[Select]
[16-Steering wheel]
[Adaptation]

Go to Channel 10

On the RNS850 go to [Climate], you should now see the [Steering Wheel Heat] button. If you tap it, VCDS should show you a current draw (around 6-8 A). That means heating is working. Tap the button again and it should go back to 0.

You can now optionally change the stored temperature. Stored Value can range between 28 to 34 (not sure what the upper limit is). Factory default should be 28. My clock spring was coded to 34, came out of an Audi S8.

6. Do an Auto-scan and clear fault codes as needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread but still relevant to me today so I’m grateful it’s here. I’m
trying to source a Paddle Shift wheel for the retrofit for my 2013 V6 TDI. I have no heat or lane assist on my model and just wanted to confirm that should I get a wheel with these extra functions I can still install it and there will be no adverse affects on the car appart from the heat and lane assist functions not operating.
I’m not interested in the extra functions I just want the paddle shifting. MTIA

·
Registered
2011 VR6 3.6l
48 Posts
If you keep your original clock spring you should be fine using OBD11, since it has long coding. If you change it with a clock spring that supports heat, you will need to do the adaptation/calibration process, not sure if OBD11 supports that.

Would always advise for VCDS :)

You should be ok having extra functions and don’t have them activated or functioning.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive
46 Posts
WELL after swearing I was going to take an airbag to the face trying to get it out of the old steering wheel I did it! Thank you for the DIY guide. I am curious though, after installing and coding the left paddle does not work, has anyone else come across this? I have a new wheel from Germany buttons paddles and all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
WELL after swearing I was going to take an airbag to the face trying to get it out of the old steering wheel I did it! Thank you for the DIY guide. I am curious though, after installing and coding the left paddle does not work, has anyone else come across this? I have a new wheel from Germany buttons paddles and all.
Did you use your original steering wheel module, or the one that came with the new wheel? My new module wouldn't accept coding, but the original one would and everything works fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just added a paddle shift wheel to my 7P after following the guide here.

Used OBDELEVEN retrofit app to do the coding. All went well after a little extra time to release the airbag.
All works great.
Something odd though is the auto gear changes are much better, more aggressive and responsive without being edgy. Don’t know if the coding reset the gear shift learning or what but it’s great. It seems like the tourque converter unlocks now when in third and you floor it putting you in boost where as before it would just lug its way there.
Anyway thought I’d post for you guys incase any of that was of interest 😀

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Had issues finding the wiring connectors as listed in the quote below from muffin86 as VW no longer sells them. They only sell the patch cables. Ballenger sport had the connectors which are listed here.
CONN-101503 Standard Power Timer (SPT) Female Terminal 5.8mm female contact width. Connector for Clock Spring
CONN-10574 Junior Power Timer Female Terminal for 0.20-0.35mm2 (24-22 AWG). Fuse Box connector

Joining the club with heated steering wheel and paddle shifters :) Mine is a VR6 Sport, so it didn't have heat.
Needed 2 parts and 3 connectors as mentioned previously in threads:

1. 4H0953568H (clock spring with heater)
2. 7P6419091T (steering wheel with tiptronic, heat, lane assist motor) Black/gray stitching
3.a N90684405/N90684505 (connector for Clock Spring for Heat) - this is if you have loose wire and crimp yourself
3.b 000979133E/000979225E - VW Repair Wire part #
4.a N90732703 (Fuse Box connector to place into the fuse box from behind) - this is if you have loose wire and crimp yourself
4.b 000979227E - VW Repair Wire part # for fuse box

Initially had issues with no heat on steering wheel, but there was an answer to that in a post by @NSTouaregTDI. Just compiling all the VCDS actions here for future references.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have installed the heated wheel with shift paddles, new clock spring and have confirmed all wiring is correct and in place. Coded for the heated wheel (it shows up on HVAC screen). However, I can't feel the wheel heat up. I have been told by someone else the wheel won't heat up unless temps fall below 65°F.
Can anyone confirm and / or advise?

·
Registered
2011 VR6 3.6l
48 Posts
The wheel should heat up regardless. In the HVAC screen, you clicked on the button to turn on the heat right?

One thing you can double check on is step 5 with VCDS:

[Select]
[16-Steering wheel]
[Adaptation]

Go to Channel 10

On the RNS850 go to [Climate], you should now see the [Steering Wheel Heat] button. If you tap it, VCDS should show you a current draw (around 6-8 A). That means heating is working. Tap the button again and it should go back to 0.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The wheel should heat up regardless. In the HVAC screen, you clicked on the button to turn on the heat right?

One thing you can double check on is step 5 with VCDS:

[Select]
[16-Steering wheel]
[Adaptation]

Go to Channel 10

I'll have my tech verify.. Thanks for your input. I'll check back in soon with an update
Automotive design Vehicle Font Audio equipment Vehicle audio
Automotive design Vehicle Font Audio equipment Vehicle audio

·
Registered
2011 VR6 3.6l
48 Posts
By the way, I did run into your issue as well - that's how I found out about the Verification step. When I did this, there was no power draw, which could only mean 2 things.
1. There's no power being supplied because there's no ground or power lead to the module.
2. The coding of the steering wheel is incorrect and the control modules will not supply power.

In my case it was #2 - the coding I put in was incorrect. Hence the call out about Long Coding helper vs manual input

·
Registered
30 Posts
By the way, I did run into your issue as well - that's how I found out about the Verification step. When I did this, there was no power draw, which could only mean 2 things.
1. There's no power being supplied because there's no ground or power lead to the module.
2. The coding of the steering wheel is incorrect and the control modules will not supply power.

In my case it was #2 - the coding I put in was incorrect. Hence the call out about Long Coding helper vs manual input
What's the long coding you used to get your heat to activate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Temps dropped below 55°F today. I felt the wheel get some semblance of heat for the first time today. However, it was not significant heat (nothing like the seats).
Any clue what I need to do to get more significant heat, as well as how to extend the amount of time it remains heated?

·
Registered
2011 VR6 3.6l
48 Posts
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168

Change Power to Steering Wheel for heat
[Select]
[16-Steering wheel]
[Adaptation]

Go to Channel 10

You can now optionally change the stored temperature. Stored Value can range between 28 to 34 (not sure what the upper limit is). Factory default should be 28. My clock spring was coded to 34, came out of an Audi S8.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168

Change Power to Steering Wheel for heat
[Select]
[16-Steering wheel]
[Adaptation]

Go to Channel 10

Thanks much, giving this a try next week 👌👌

141 - 159 of 159 Posts