Club Touareg Forum banner
81 - 100 of 174 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Heated Steering Wheel

yuyueyuyue

Did you ever figure out how to get the heated wheel to work. I have just installed the DSG and Heated wheel along with the clock spring ending in H which should add the power to the wheel for heat.

I have activated Heated Steering wheel with VAG-COM on both steering wheel -16 module and Auto HVAC. This brings up the Heated Wheel Button on the Climate control in the RNS.

This is my problem: As soon as I turn on the heated wheel I blow fuse # 8 (Tire pressure monitoring control module -J502- Electronic steering column lock control module -J764- Steering column electronics control
module -J527-) on the Drivers side panel. It came from the factory with a 5 AMP fuse, however I looked at this diagram and it says fuse # 8 should be a 10 AMP.

Also, I do not have a fuse # 11, it is missing.

What have you determined needs to be done after installing the right parts and coded correctly?

ANy help will be much appreciated.

-Chris

· Registered
351 Posts
yuyueyuyue Did you ever figure out how to get the heated wheel to work. I have just installed the DSG and Heated wheel along with the clock spring ending in H which should add the power to the wheel for heat. I have activated Heated Steering wheel with VAG-COM on both steering wheel -16 module and Auto HVAC. This brings up the Heated Wheel Button on the Climate control in the RNS. This is my problem: As soon as I turn on the heated wheel I blow fuse # 8 (Tire pressure monitoring control module -J502- Electronic steering column lock control module -J764- Steering column electronics control module -J527-) on the Drivers side panel. It came from the factory with a 5 AMP fuse, however I looked at this diagram and it says fuse # 8 should be a 10 AMP. Also, I do not have a fuse # 11, it is missing. What have you determined needs to be done after installing the right parts and coded correctly? ANy help will be much appreciated. -Chris
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear this. But you are quick :)

No, I haven't installed mine. Just moved into a new house, spending every second doing remodeling. I find this is a great way to stop me from spending more money on the treg, lol.

I bought the H clock spring too, it's hiding in one of the moving boxes...

With that being said, I think I know the solution to this. You will need to run external power to the heater pins on the back of the clock spring. Hardwire to fuse #11. Without power going to the heater pins, it will just draw power from the wrong place. I did some continuity tests on the leads and turns out the heater pins on the back and the front of the clock spring are not directly connected. They are controlled by IC boards. This explains the blown fuse on other modules, and proves that I can't simply put a SPST switch on the dashboard as I won't be able to control the heater that way.

Not sure if I explained myself clearly. Simply put, connect the 2 pins on the back of the clock spring. Positive to fuse 11, negative to chassis.

I will post some pics to better explain myself, you might also need to buy some connector for a "factory "look.

Btw, did you need to re-calibrate you steering angle sensor for the new clock spring?

· Registered
351 Posts
In regards to your question, yes the clock spring has to be recalibrated.

I used the Ross Tech wiki instructions.

Very easy, let me know if you need help.
Thanks Chris

The fuse diagram I'm looking at shows 10a for #8, 15a for #11.

But on my car, I also have 5a for #8.

I'm not 100% sure on the size of the connector pins, let me check

· Registered
351 Posts
Are you sure you're looking at the correct specs? Every VW reference points to 50nm or 37lb/ft.
I do see 50nm being mentioned in the doc, but that's referring to the minimum spec of the torque wrench that should be used.

I'm not sure if I can post the pdf here for copy right concerns, so I'm attaching a screenshot.

I just swapped my slip ring today adding heating function to my LUX. Tested 30nm, then a quarter turn on top on that. I did not know how much 30nm+90degree will be before the swap, but it turns out that's about 47nm.

Attachments

· Registered
91 Posts
Another successful change-over

Instructions are awesome - thank you.

Although I chickened out and had my dealer change over the wheel for a very nominal fee when it was in for some other routine maintenance.

I hooked up VCDS and followed the instructions and away it went. All done for a grand total of less than AU$400!!

Fantastic - thank you all!

Cheers

Andrew

· Registered
152 Posts
Instructions are awesome - thank you.

Although I chickened out and had my dealer change over the wheel for a very nominal fee when it was in for some other routine maintenance.

I hooked up VCDS and followed the instructions and away it went. All done for a grand total of less than AU$400!!

Fantastic - thank you all!

Cheers

Andrew
How much time in hours did your dealer charge you for the changeover?

· Registered
91 Posts
30 minutes of labour. That's it.

I had to do the coding myself with my VCDS. That was 10 minutes as I took a complete download of the car before I made the change.

Brilliant.

Cheers

· Registered
152 Posts
30 minutes of labour. That's it.

I had to do the coding myself with my VCDS. That was 10 minutes as I took a complete download of the car before I made the change.

Brilliant.

Cheers
That's good to know. My only concern is incorrectly installing the airbag-- I'll probably do it myself but it's always good to be armed with information before walking into the dealership service center. Thanks!

· Registered
152 Posts
Got my non-R line paddle shifter steering wheel the other day (ebay.de). It's in beautiful shape. Unfortunately it appears someone at the VW factory went a little crazy with the stickers on the inside of it because it has stickers for both the XOU (brown) and NGB (black) leather variants. In the picture all I could see was the XOU so I ordered it thinking it was brown and unfortunately it's black. I've got to decide if I want to install it or sell it.

For those who have installed a black steering wheel with a brown airbag, do you notice it at all? I'd imagine it's noticeable in the sun. yuyueyuyue posted a picture - thanks for that. Anyone else have high res pictures in different lighting?

Also- general question to those with 2015-2016 Touareg's (as my new steering wheel has an April 2015 manufacture date)-- the lights behind the various buttons on the steering wheel (volume, track toggle, menu toggle) - are they red or white? Doesn't matter either way to me, however if I choose to install this I may swap them out for the ones in my steering wheel to be consistent with the rest of the car.

Thanks all!

· Registered
162 Posts
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear this. But you are quick :)

No, I haven't installed mine. Just moved into a new house, spending every second doing remodeling. I find this is a great way to stop me from spending more money on the treg, lol.

I bought the H clock spring too, it's hiding in one of the moving boxes...

With that being said, I think I know the solution to this. You will need to run external power to the heater pins on the back of the clock spring. Hardwire to fuse #11. Without power going to the heater pins, it will just draw power from the wrong place. I did some continuity tests on the leads and turns out the heater pins on the back and the front of the clock spring are not directly connected. They are controlled by IC boards. This explains the blown fuse on other modules, and proves that I can't simply put a SPST switch on the dashboard as I won't be able to control the heater that way.

Not sure if I explained myself clearly. Simply put, connect the 2 pins on the back of the clock spring. Positive to fuse 11, negative to chassis.

I will post some pics to better explain myself, you might also need to buy some connector for a "factory "look.

Btw, did you need to re-calibrate you steering angle sensor for the new clock spring?

Did you end up getting this installed, and all worked as you had hoped? Connecting those connectors to fuse 11, and ground? I've gotten my steering wheel, and I'm just looking for a clock spring now. Any idea if this is the only part number that will work 4H0953568H?

I found one with this part number: 4H0953568M, but it might be too new.

Lastly, where is everyone finding these clocksprings at? I can't seem to find much in the way of used, and they're quite expensive new.

Thanks for the help!

· Registered
351 Posts
Did you end up getting this installed, and all worked as you had hoped? Connecting those connectors to fuse 11, and ground? I've gotten my steering wheel, and I'm just looking for a clock spring now. Any idea if this is the only part number that will work 4H0953568H?

I found one with this part number: 4H0953568M, but it might be too new.

Lastly, where is everyone finding these clocksprings at? I can't seem to find much in the way of used, and they're quite expensive new.

Thanks for the help!
yes, installed for a long time and uninstalled when I traded it in, and sold the heater pins to a member here, he successfully installed it too. Make sure you copy your old coding and paste it into the new clockspring before changing anything in VCDS.

H clockspring is the one I can confirm working. There are versions with more functions than "H" version, but I haven't tried.

Check ebay, your best bet is to find one with connectors still attached. Some junkyards just cut the wires instead of unplugging the connectors, that's the type of clockspring you'd want, saves you a lot of trouble. Otherwise you'd have to shop for separate pins or use other creative ways to connect to power.

· Registered
162 Posts
Is that copy the coding from the module 16? My coding was 000015, but I changed it to 000035 due to the addition of tiptronic. I noticed the check box for adding heat also, but didn't check it yet. Or is there another sort of coding that I need to copy?

Thanks again!

81 - 100 of 174 Posts