Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have installed the heated wheel with shift paddles, new clock spring and have confirmed all wiring is correct and in place. Coded for the heated wheel (it shows up on HVAC screen). However, I can't feel the wheel heat up. I have been told by someone else the wheel won't heat up unless temps fall below 65°F.
Can anyone confirm and / or advise?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The wheel should heat up regardless. In the HVAC screen, you clicked on the button to turn on the heat right?

One thing you can double check on is step 5 with VCDS:

5. Verify and Change Power to Steering Wheel for heat
[Select]
[16-Steering wheel]
[Adaptation]

Go to Channel 10

On the RNS850 go to [Climate], you should now see the [Steering Wheel Heat] button. If you tap it, VCDS should show you a current draw (around 6-8 A). That means heating is working. Tap the button again and it should go back to 0.
I'll have my tech verify.. Thanks for your input. I'll check back in soon with an update
Automotive design Vehicle Font Audio equipment Vehicle audio
Automotive design Vehicle Font Audio equipment Vehicle audio

·
Registered
30 Posts
By the way, I did run into your issue as well - that's how I found out about the Verification step. When I did this, there was no power draw, which could only mean 2 things.
1. There's no power being supplied because there's no ground or power lead to the module.
2. The coding of the steering wheel is incorrect and the control modules will not supply power.

In my case it was #2 - the coding I put in was incorrect. Hence the call out about Long Coding helper vs manual input
What's the long coding you used to get your heat to activate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Temps dropped below 55°F today. I felt the wheel get some semblance of heat for the first time today. However, it was not significant heat (nothing like the seats).
Any clue what I need to do to get more significant heat, as well as how to extend the amount of time it remains heated?

·
Registered
30 Posts
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168

Change Power to Steering Wheel for heat
[Select]
[16-Steering wheel]
[Adaptation]

Go to Channel 10

You can now optionally change the stored temperature. Stored Value can range between 28 to 34 (not sure what the upper limit is). Factory default should be 28. My clock spring was coded to 34, came out of an Audi S8.
Thanks much, giving this a try next week 👌👌

1 - 5 of 5 Posts