Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear this. But you are quick :)

No, I haven't installed mine. Just moved into a new house, spending every second doing remodeling. I find this is a great way to stop me from spending more money on the treg, lol.

I bought the H clock spring too, it's hiding in one of the moving boxes...

With that being said, I think I know the solution to this. You will need to run external power to the heater pins on the back of the clock spring. Hardwire to fuse #11. Without power going to the heater pins, it will just draw power from the wrong place. I did some continuity tests on the leads and turns out the heater pins on the back and the front of the clock spring are not directly connected. They are controlled by IC boards. This explains the blown fuse on other modules, and proves that I can't simply put a SPST switch on the dashboard as I won't be able to control the heater that way.

Not sure if I explained myself clearly. Simply put, connect the 2 pins on the back of the clock spring. Positive to fuse 11, negative to chassis.

I will post some pics to better explain myself, you might also need to buy some connector for a "factory "look.

Btw, did you need to re-calibrate you steering angle sensor for the new clock spring?

Did you end up getting this installed, and all worked as you had hoped? Connecting those connectors to fuse 11, and ground? I've gotten my steering wheel, and I'm just looking for a clock spring now. Any idea if this is the only part number that will work 4H0953568H?

I found one with this part number: 4H0953568M, but it might be too new.

Lastly, where is everyone finding these clocksprings at? I can't seem to find much in the way of used, and they're quite expensive new.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is that copy the coding from the module 16? My coding was 000015, but I changed it to 000035 due to the addition of tiptronic. I noticed the check box for adding heat also, but didn't check it yet. Or is there another sort of coding that I need to copy?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you have the correct clockspring installed and wired properly? What tool are you using for coding? VCDS let's you check a box to add heat. When you coded it, does the heated steering wheel option appear in the climate menu? If it does then you should have the correct coding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I finally just got my new clockspring installed and heating hooked up today. If you don't want to source eBay connectors, you can get them from VW. They were in stock here locally. The part numbers needed for connectors are 000979225E for the plug that connects to the clockspring. This is a piece of wire with the same connector on each end, so you only need one. The plastic plug has a little clip you hold back, and then it sides apart horizontally, and the connectors then can pop in from the back. For the fuse box, the part number is 000979227E. This comes with two ends also, so you will have a spare for later. This also pops in from the back of the fuse box, but theres a long purple retaining bar that needs to slide about 2mm before it will go in, then it is secured once you move the bar back. Coding 000C35 worked for my steering wheel with heat and tiptronic. VCDS wanted to do 000435 with long coding helper, but heat didn't work. The change as mentioned here in HVAC brings the button to the screen. Thanks for all the help, and may everyone have warm hands this winter!

Also, I got my steering wheel off German eBay and had a friend bring it back from Germany. Same for the clockspring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts