Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having issues with my T3's pano sunroof for a while now. Have been searching the forums and it seems like the issues are not uncommon but I haven't found any thread with problems quite like mine, so I'm looking for opinions on what to do next.

The issue is that it makes this terrible clicking / popping noise when it's opening, and continues to rattle when open. I use it a lot, so it is quite annoying. Car has 40k miles on it--the dealership has lubed it three times in the past few months trying to alleviate the issue with no success. It's under an extended warranty--so it would be covered--but the dealership wants to try replacing the sunroof frame next. This would obviously involve tearing apart essentially my entire upper interior.

I'm a bit conflicted as to what to do because the dealer seems to think the noise will remain the same if left alone and the sunroof is not necessarily breaking itself--so I could just leave it alone and deal with the noise. The other option is to let them tear up my car to troubleshoot and hopefully fix it. I suppose my biggest concern here is that they either don't fix it and this saga continues, or that nothing will quite fit the same as it used to between the headliner, pillars, trim, etc. Would you just live with an imperfect vehicle or take the risk in them making it worse in order to fix it?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I can identify with this, my 2006 Jetta GLI had a chronic issue with a slow drip from the sunroof when brand new. I must have been in the dealer six times before they gave up and replaced the frame. Best decision on their part as the frame was found defective when they removed it (hair fracture) and it stopped leaking with the new frame. I think replacing the entire thing when it isn't your money isn't a bad option. It is highly likely to fix the problem and they have to put everything back together just right, so don't leave with it if they don't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T-Reguan--this actually is a second opinion. I recently moved across the country so in the last few weeks, this is the second dealer than has suggested replacing the frame. The first dealer did nothing but lube it--this second one did, at least, try to "adjust" it which didn't fix the problem.

Spiegelglatt--that's reassuring to hear. Did you find that they did a decent job ripping down the headliner and getting it back up in one piece? This is the thing I'm most worried about--either that they will mess it up / rip it / stain it or that it won't quite ever fit right again.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Everything went well except a clip in the rear trim which rattled when on certain pavement. Took it back and they snapped it into place. After that you would never know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but my wife's T3 pano roof wouldn't close today after it was put in tilt mode. I recommended that she cycle it fully open then close and it worked, although made noise. What do you guys think? What typically goes wrong in these things.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It may just be a lubrication issue but some owners have reported that they have had to fit a complete new frame. That's an expensive repair if not under warranty!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had a pano sunroof problem with my Jetta Sportwagen. The sunshade fabric came loose from the frame on the passenger's side. After visits to two dealerships, I realized there was no other option but to replace the sunshade. The price quote was $400 for a new sunshade and $600 labor. I realize this is not the same issue as the rattling mentioned in the original post, but I thought the repair cost may give others with sunshade issues an idea of the cost of repair.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was going to ask the dealer to lubricate it during the next oil change although I'm not eager to have any one fool with it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Learner
5,014 Posts
No problem, so far, with the panoramic sunroof in nearly two years of ownership...take it to a different dealership

1 - 10 of 10 Posts