Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found any lift or stiffer springs for the T3?

Looking to keep mine but need stiffer springs for towing.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why do you need stiffer springs? Too much tongue weight? I tow my Lexus LS400 race car (no lightweight) and all my race gear in the trunk no problem in my 04'. Tows nice at 80.

·
Registered
345 Posts
ive been trying to get a lift for 2 years....there are none and no one is interested in making them

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you need stiffer springs? Too much tongue weight? I tow my Lexus LS400 race car (no lightweight) and all my race gear in the trunk no problem in my 04'. Tows nice at 80.
Mine tows fine, however it squats pretty badly and I load my BRZ (not very heavy) all the way to the back of my featherlight open aluminum trailer. Your 04 probably has a better OEM/stiffer OEM suspension than my 14. I've towed to FL and back to NY no problem I just don't like how it sits.

-mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine tows fine, however it squats pretty badly and I load my BRZ (not very heavy) all the way to the back of my featherlight open aluminum trailer. Your 04 probably has a better OEM/stiffer OEM suspension than my 14. I've towed to FL and back to NY no problem I just don't like how it sits.

-mike
Odd. Thats not much load. This is mine loaded to the gills on stock steel...

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

-mike
If you think that’s fine then mine is not squatting at all! Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you think that’s fine then mine is not squatting at all! Lol.
Ah, you are just being overly fussy then, but to each their own. you'll have to engineer your own solution... (as I plan to shortly)...
I will likely go with a weight distributing hitch. Usually use the equalizer.

Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts

Spin, have you ever tried loading the car on backwards. The front end of the car to the back of the trailer might free up some of that tongue weight.

And, who seriously builds a Lexus LS race car??? =p Totally just busting your balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spin, have you ever tried loading the car on backwards. The front end of the car to the back of the trailer might free up some of that tongue weight.

And, who seriously builds a Lexus LS race car??? =p Totally just busting your balls.

I had a really nice Aluma race trailer, and it got stolen, so used the uhaul... that little bit of sag is nothin. the car was fully loaded with stuff in that pic too as we were moving...
I built the Lexus, well, because I work for the mfg, and was leading our in house "race team" (employee teamwork development program). They said it couldn't be done, so I quit the "factory" team and built my own... yes, we are one of the fastest cars in the country on track in our series :) We surprise ALOT of people, especially the BMW/Miata crowd when we pass them on the outside of turns. I had this one for almost 25 years too, and also ran up front for every one of those years as well... its your car's grandfather!

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a really nice Aluma race trailer, and it got stolen, so used the uhaul... that little bit of sag is nothin. the car was fully loaded with stuff in that pic too as we were moving...

I built the Lexus, well, because I work for the mfg, and was leading our in house "race team" (employee teamwork development program). They said it couldn't be done, so I quit the "factory" team and built my own... yes, we are one of the fastest cars in the country on track in our series :) We surprise ALOT of people, especially the BMW/Miata crowd when we pass them on the outside of turns. I had this one for almost 25 years too, and also ran up front for every one of those years as well... its your car's grandfather!

That is bitchin’, and badass, Spin. You’re using the original 4.0 as the power plant in he LS? And, sweet 86, by the way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is bitchin’, and badass, Spin. You’re using the original 4.0 as the power plant in he LS? And, sweet 86, by the way.

Thanks... I ran the original 1991 250,000mile motor in the LS and we were crushing everybody (extremely durable!)... Lex has a design flaw in the cooling system (pressurized plastic overflow tank), and we overheated a couple times so time for a "fresh" motor... I chose the engine and trans out of a 99' GS400 which has another gear in the trans and much better ratios, plus VVT making 50 more hp and 50 more tq. Did it more for the fuel mileage and better gearing than the power since we don't need to be any faster. Turned out to not be a drop in, and I had to reengineer everything. Engine mounts, Trans mounts, Shifter location, Cooling system, Fuel system, Intake, Braking system, Exhaust, drive shaft, removed power steering etc... All that's done, but wiring killin me. Hope to get it back running this spring. Getting close. Here's a before and after of the engine compartment. I made the engine stay and brake stop out of the original jack handle and muffler bracket lol. Also, got to meet the chief designer of the LS500 at work last week, and drive the new car... nice.... I showed him pictures of the race car lol. Ok, back to the T-Reg!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts