Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those T3 owners that thought they had dodged the fairly common front diff failure in the T1 & T2 think again .:serious:
Having repaired the T1 & T2 diffs I thought nothing of attempting a repair on a 2013 150tdi that had a noisy front diff and noticeable metal in the oil.
Well good luck to those that attempt it as your infor a few headaches that I had.
The diff had failed the pinion bearings when pulled apart, but what pinion bearings they are :shock:

The bearing were nothing I had seen before and even my bearing guy i deal with all the time for large antifriction bearings commented wow they are special!!

Had to make some specific tooling to even disassemble the diff and then for reassembly that took me quite a few hours but you cannot do it without them.

As for the pinion bearings I was able get them thru my guy who has a contact at the F.A.G factory Germany and he got them thru the back door as they are made for ZF and are not for resale I am told.

The carrier bearings are just normal tapered rollers of the shelf.
The crown wheel and overall diff are also a bit smaller than the series1 & 2 and the crown wheel is 1 piece with the carrier, not bolted on like the previous versions.

Another thing that the diff breather no longer hasa pipe running up to the air box but a little rubber nipple low down that would be submerged at water levels above the wheel centre line. This may or may not allow/suck water into the hot diff for those forging deeper waters?

Still need to also deal with the used collapsible spacer to make it reusable for those who may attempt.
I suppose this helps VW spare part sales who will charge here in OZ over $7500 for a replacement diff + fitting.

Regards
Drag

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Gordon Norah, that's a bummer of a job - but bloody well done.

You do realise that as you are now officially the world's only Generation 2 front diff rebuilder you will have heavy wooden boxes arriving on your doorstep, so I hope you've got several sets of bearings ready!

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Excellent Post...

The short arse breather tube is a little worrisome. How many people will destroy diffs through water crossings? The VW accountants must we wringing their hands with glee.

Stuart...

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,388 Posts
Excellent Post...

The short arse breather tube is a little worrisome. How many people will destroy diffs through water crossings? The VW accountants must we wringing their hands with glee.

Stuart...
VW could have at least attached a rubber hose to it and ran the rubber hose to the top of the engine compartment. This reminds me of the days of the Land Rovers where 90% of the used Rovers had mayo in the diffs for this very reason.

VW, cheap, bean counting, warranty evading, convicted, scum.

·
Registered
479 Posts
that doesnt seem to add up tho...isnt the t3 forging depth like mid door. how is the diff not sealed?....I changed mine a few months ago and the fluid came out like new really and ive done quite a bit of water driving...in the lake loaded boats and messing around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dragline1570..how did you get the crown bearing out of the housing? I cant figure the retainer out. Also are the replacement bearings more readily available? Been four years, you'd think more of these have been done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts