Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone has removed their driveshaft between the front and rear diff on the T3?

I replaced it on my Touareg 1 when he center bearing let go, this one is very similar yet different in so many ways.
Just noticed a drip in the rear turns out it's the front seal on the rear diff leaking.

This generation looks like it has all the shafts and cv joints that just clip on like many of the Japanese cars? No bolts on any of them, which might make things much easier than on a Touareg 1. Might possibly still have to remove rear exhaust, drop center support on driveshaft and disconnect rear of shaft and change the seals.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I just did both front wheel bearings a few weeks ago, both sides took less time than one corner on my 06. Looks like driveshaft could possibly be same way.

Thanks for any help in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so just went out and attacked it. The rear female end of the shaft simply prys off the male spline out of the rear diff. Remove the two center support bolts and the shaft flexes enough to come off the diff spline.
Extremely easy. I ended up dropping the rear muffler from the coupling back because I wasn't sure what I wasn't going to run into, but also makes it easier to move around.

Just waiting on the new parts and then I will get the seal replaced.

On another note, this center support is much thicker and doesn't have a weak flexible area like the older ones. This one appears to be a bearing around the shaft with a solid rubber mount filling in a metal ring, which then bolts to the bottom of the body much like the older generation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, just had to redo the seal again. I didn't have the VW installation tools to put the deal and dust so in so they weren't perfectly aligned and the metal dust cover wore through the seal. I have since obtained the correct procedure and took info from Erwin, ordered the tools and everything went together much smoother and easier. You need a special seal grease and two tools.

If anyone else ends up needing to replace this seal, let me know. I can possibly ship you the grease, tools, and instructions to get this done.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has 89 on it now. When it first started to leak it had probably 86-87. I did he seal, but incorrectly, and it just started to leak again so I did it the correct way.
Was surprised when it originally started to leak.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish it was covered, but the local dealer told me there was nothing they could see leaking. I couldn't see where the leak was until I took the driveshaft off.

Once you get the shaft off, there is a metal dust cover and then the seal. Dust cover is in about an inch and a half, seal is about two inches in. Getting them out you just put screws into them and use a slide hammer to pull out. It's the getting them back in properly that is an issue. They do not seat on a lip or anything. It is a smooth inner surface for about 4 inches, and the seal has to be in the correct spot.

The special tools basically push the seal and dust plate in to the exact spot they need to be at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.