Club Touareg Forum banner

T3 Blackout and Caliper Paint

21K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Hockeycraig 
#1 ·
Hello ClubTouareg,

I thought it was finally time to share the current state of my Touareg. I have blacked out the trim and roof rails with gloss black vinyl, powder coated my stock wheels gloss black (painted plastic lug caps black) and plasti-dipped my brake calipers red. I also removed the "Touareg" and "V6" badges from the rear and painted the VW logos on the grill and trunk gloss black. My local vinyl shop charged me $900 for all the vinyl work and powder coating which I didn't think was too bad. Also, I ordered a pair of VW logo projector lights for the front doors. In my opinion it's the coolest cheap and easy mod for the T3, only $14 off Amazon! Since I have taken these photos I have tinted the front windows to match the rears and added a tint banner across the top of the windshield. Next, on the agenda for the car is: powder coating (or ceramic coating) the exhaust tips black and picking out roof rails/ski rack. :smile2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
THAT... is a great looking Treg. My '11 is silver I decided to leave all the trim and badges alone as I think it goes well with the color of the vehicle. I did want to have red calipers but didn't want to remove them to have them ceramic coated (will the plasti-dip actually hold up?). I did add the LED projector puddle lamps to all 4 doors. As you stated it's a cheap easy way to make the Treg look better/different.
Post a pic of the Treg with the front windows tinted.

Attachments

Reactions: Cole Rubin
#4 ·
Hello ClubTouareg,

I thought it was finally time to share the current state of my Touareg. I have blacked out the trim and roof rails with gloss black vinyl, powder coated my stock wheels gloss black (painted plastic lug caps black) and plasti-dipped my brake calipers red. I also removed the "Touareg" and "V6" badges from the rear and painted the VW logos on the grill and trunk gloss black. My local vinyl shop charged me $900 for all the vinyl work and powder coating which I didn't think was too bad. Also, I ordered a pair of VW logo projector lights for the front doors. In my opinion it's the coolest cheap and easy mod for the T3, only $14 off Amazon! Since I have taken these photos I have tinted the front windows to match the rears and added a tint banner across the top of the windshield. Next, on the agenda for the car is: powder coating (or ceramic coating) the exhaust tips black and picking out roof rails/ski rack. /forums/images/ClubTouareg_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Looks really good. I did something similar with a 2017 white treg. Used matte black wrap to cover all exterior chrome. Came out looking good, just wondering how long it will last.

I know it would be a much more expensive option, but VW does make all of the chrome parts in black instead of chrome. They put them on the Escape model that is sold in Europe. If anyone has a VIN# for a 2016 or 2017 escape model, we could then order the black parts from the dealer. Wonder what that would cost!!!

#26 ·
Looks really good. I did something similar with a 2017 white treg. Used matte black wrap to cover all exterior chrome. Came out looking good, just wondering how long it will last.

I know it would be a much more expensive option, but VW does make all of the chrome parts in black instead of chrome. They put them on the Escape model that is sold in Europe. If anyone has a VIN# for a 2016 or 2017 escape model, we could then order the black parts from the dealer. Wonder what that would cost!!!

Any pics
Of the white treg
With blacked chrome?
Cheers bro

#13 ·
Sorry...more questions. How does the front runner rack effect the sunroof operation?

And was there a reason for the wheel spacers out back, like fitment issues or just an appearance thing.

I’m planning on changing my OEM 19s to an 18 with an all terrain tire as well. I like the slightly poked look of the tires so I’m just weighing options on spacers or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
SUPER nice! My '11 could use something very similar. Although mine is black so I'm not sure if I would be overkilling it. Did you do anything with the stock roof rails? This is nice since most of the original trim is starting to look tired. No matter how much polishing I do..

#15 ·
Nice job Cole Rubin.
For the suitcase muffler in the back you should use Rust-Oleum high heat spray paint in black. I did it on my '11. Makes it blend in with the bottom of the vehicle so it's not so visible.

#24 ·
yes had to take both grills ( upper and lower) out of the car and remove all the chrome pieces out of the grills wrapped them and then reinstall the center bars in the grills .for the rear badge i just covered the badge with the wrap loosely, applied some heat and cut what the centers of the badge out. but will say that the front badge was held up great using plasti-dip flat and several coats of plasti-dip clear. but i did remove the badge from the front grill as well. hope this helps.

#28 ·
I just finished top grill on my 2011. When I started thinner chrome on lower grill I noticed the middle piece and loose and would like it tight before I wrap that section. Can someone suggest how to secure this plastic piece? Is it as simple as crazy glue? I tried sliding it into place but just can’t get it to fix correctly.
Finger Hand Material property Technology Electronic device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.