Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my battery 2 days ago. These are the steps I took. Please message me if you have questions, I am happy to help.

Vehicle in this example: 2011 model year, 2010 build year, Touraeg TDI 3.0 Sport with 195,000 miles with factory battery

CAUTION: if you do the work described below you agree to accept all risks to personal injury and property damage from working on electrical systems including pyrotechnic devices.

NOTE: No carpet cutting is required. No modification of any parts is required. No fuses were removed.

Time required: 1.5 hours the first try. 20 minutes additional tries.

1. Mise en place:
tools: 10mm XZN bit (also known as "triple square"), 10mm deep hex socket, socket drive handle, medium length socket extension, medium-long thin flat-bladed screwdriver, small torx bit (I think it was T15, but it helps to have T10-T25 available).

materials: new replacement battery. I bought mine from the VW dealer for $150. You give your VIN to the dealer and you will get exactly the correct battery.

2. Move the driver's seat forward until the rear bolts are exposed. Tilt the seat back fully forward.

3. Remove the plastic seat track covers, if present. Mine broke off long ago.

4. Using the 10mm XZN/triple square tool, remove the 2 seat track bolts. NOTE: the XZN tool does not need to be modified as stated in other how-to guides.

5. Move the driver's seat rearward until the front seat bolts are exposed.

6. Remove the front seat track bolts. Gently tilt the seat backwards until it rests against the rear seat.

7. Using the torx bit, remove a small plastic torx screw holding the heating vent. By hand, unfold the carpet from under the heating vent and on top of the battery cover, so that the battery cover can be fully accessed.

8. Using a thin flat bladed screwdriver, or your hand, release all 4 clips holding the battery cover. I did this by hand. My hands are larger than average size. The long thin screwdriver may or may not be needed.

9. Remove the battery cover.

10. Remove the battery vent tube.

11. Disconnect the positive battery cable with 10mm socket, with no extension. Fold the positive cable away so the battery can be lifted out.

12. Disconnect the very small wire cable connector at the negative battery cable. Be careful not to break it.

13. Disconnect the negative battery cable with 10mm socket, with no extension. Fold the negative cable away so the battery can be lifted out.

14. Remove the center battery hold down bracket using a 10mm socket with medium extension.

15. Remove the forward battery hold down bracket using a 10mm socket with medium extension.

16. Using the provided handles, lift the old battery up and forward and out of the vehicle.

17. Using the provided handles, install the new battery.

18. Installation is the reverse of removal.

19. Test drive. The clock needs to be reset. No radio reset/lock code is needed. I have the RNS 850 infotainment system with Sirius satellite radio. Everything works normally.

20. Replace tools, wash hands, dispose of old battery properly according to your local regulations.

After I did this job, I made a 700 mile trip with 5 adults, their luggage, and towing a 3,000 lb boat. I averaged 18.5 mpg travelling 70mph. To me this is successful feedback on the battery replacement.

NOTE: no error codes were displayed after this job. No error codes were present before this job started.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
So doesn't your seat just hinge backwards from the front having undone the two bolts* in the floor at the front of the seat [*not the seat track bolts]?

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Well at least you didn't take the seat out as some have done and then wondered why the airbag light is on afterwards!

Technically, if I recall correctly, the seat bolts are one time use items and should be replaced with new.

· Registered
3,794 Posts
I don't agree. Where it is kept is a secure and relatively temperature stable environment. 6 year battery life is impressive. Centre of gravity is nice too. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
X2

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Has anyone done a battery relocation? The battery is absurdly mounted OEM.
Have you lifted the bonnet/hood and thought where would you put it?

I'm pretty certain that the answer to your question is "No", by the way.

On the V10 [and in a few others with a certain cold weather option] there's a second battery in the boot/trunk and this is also where a number of people have fitted an auxiliary battery to power caravans and camping trailers.

· Registered
553 Posts
Technically, if I recall correctly, the seat bolts are one time use items and should be replaced with new.
So every time my First Mate drops a crochet needle down between the centre console and her seat, I have to buy new seat bolts to replace the ones I removed when I retrieve the needles?

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Reminds me of the young boy aged about 12 that I saw in a Discovery the other day who was lying so far down in the front seat with his legs up on the dashboard that the seat belt diagonal was under his chin.

As I said to his mother, in an accident the dashboard airbag would break his legs and the seat belt would neatly snap his beck as he submarined out from under it....

Not my place to tell them really but it was such a dangerous thing to be doing and, as I said to her, I've seen too many dead and dying in cars and trucks over the years.

· Registered
55 Posts
Glad to help Edward. I plan to replace the front shocks/struts and will post the procedure. Looks straightforward. Not enjoying the dealer price of $300+ each though.
What a co-incidence. I ordered shock absorbers for mine last week from an ebay parts seller and are expected to arrive next week. I will get them installed by my dealer wrapped up with my upcoming service.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

· Registered
147 Posts
My 2013 Exec has a plastic piece on the front track closest to the door. It's on there fairly tight and does not have any release clips that I can see.Not sure how to remove it and nowhere does anybody mention this in all the threads I read. All the youtube videos show T1 & T2 Touaregs, but no T3 or T4 how to's.

Anybody else have this black plastic part on the front left track?
Also, no mention of the group size battery anywhere that I could find.

Reactions: chassis

· Registered
147 Posts
Was able to get the plastic cover off the end of the track by prying it in several places and finally popped off to reveal the bolt.
My original battery is approx 15-16 inches long, which is a group 95R or H9.
Some websites say the H9 is correct and others say the H8 is the correct size and the H9 will not fit.

This has to be the most difficult battery replacement I have ever done and I don't even have the battery out yet. I thought my Acadia was difficult to change out in the floor behind the passenger seat.

Reactions: chassis

· Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,456 Posts
I agree. Why the default location was not in the boot (trunk) is beyond me.

VW could have at least moved the battery one foot closer to the engine. I would rather had the car battery under the front floor mat then under the front seat. Slide the front seat as far backwards as it can go, remove front floor mat, find and remove bolts holding the battery cover down... Sounds a lot easier.

Even under the rear seat would have been a lot easier to access location.

Don't even get me started on where VW put the AdBlue tank. >:)

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go slowly. I found it "easy" in the sense that each step is not difficult on its own. It is a job that has more steps than most, for sure. One special tool needed, is the driver bit to remove the seat track screws.

Both the original battery and the replacement had two nice handles, making removal and installation a bit more manageable.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.