Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through many camera threads here, I still have a question

To retrofit a backup camera in a 2011 T3 it looks like you needed to have the PDC option? I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 Touareg and really want a backup camera but none of the vehicles I've looked at have either cameras or PDC sensors.

What are my options?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi,

I did the camera retrofit into a T2 using a third party camera and a Kufatec rear view camera interface which hooked up behind the RNS510. There was no mention about PDC requirement there, although I have it as a factory option.

Of course, this is now the T3 in your case, for which I don't have a definite answer but I would be surprised if it would be too far off from T2. One difference could be if the camera and PDC would be combined into a single control unit and coding, whereas in T2 they have separate control units.

IMHO, having gone through that retrofit, I would wait until a car with factory camera becomes available.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've read through many camera threads here, I still have a question

To retrofit a backup camera in a 2011 T3 it looks like you needed to have the PDC option? I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 Touareg and really want a backup camera but none of the vehicles I've looked at have either cameras or PDC sensors.

What are my options?
I have a 2011 T3 with backup camera. And I do not believe I have a PDC, although I am not sure what PDC stands for....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2011 T3 with backup camera. And I do not believe I have a PDC, although I am not sure what PDC stands for....
PDC is the parking sensor system

looks like this on the display if you don't have a camera, and shares the display if you do. Did you retrofit the camera in your 2011 or did it come with it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, nothing much except it turned out to be a bigger effort than I originally thought. The main pain points were removing all the panels in the trunk to get the camera wires routed clean.

Another pain in the ### was the wiring behind the navigator, or in more detail, fitting the thing back to flush once the extra wiring for the Kufatec module is in place. Everything back there is so tightly fitted and they don't count any extra space for retrofitters at the factory... ;)

I have it working but the other edge of the RNS510 (yes I am talking about T2 now) is not mounted flush. Need to look at what's disturbing behind the nav unit sometime once the weather gets a bit warmer (don't have a warm garage to work on it)...

So to sum it up, my next ride (possibly a T3) _is_ going to have either a camera or Area View factory-fitted. :p

Something to think as well: one should give some thought to the possible resale value of the car in case something does not go quite like in the movies with the retrofit... :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
PDC is the parking sensor system

looks like this on the display if you don't have a camera, and shares the display if you do. Did you retrofit the camera in your 2011 or did it come with it?

Camera came with my T3. And does not have PDC.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No PDC is needed to retrofit the camera.
should clarifiy, it seems that no PDC is needed to retrofit the Kufatec camera but it is needed for the Carnaviplayer.

It's too bad the Kufatec is 4x the price.

Makes me wonder if the coding dongle for the Kufatec will work with the Carnaviplayer. Does it just make the dash monitor change display inputs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts