Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 tdi with 82k and the alternator went. The dealer is having a time trying to find one. For being a 1k item what kind of mileage can be expected out of one. 4 years and 82k ?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That's a bummer. I'd be happy to get 100K miles on any component. But 82K isn't horrible, either. I'd be mad if it went out at 50K, however.

The alternator lives a hard life in a Touareg. I'm not sure on the specs of yours, by the V8 FSI alternator is 190 amps and is cooled by the engine coolant!!!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
That sucks. I'm at almost 91k on my 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thought the US had a 100K warranty on engine and drivetrain or did I imagine that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if this can be rebuilt. I never had a alternator melt down like this one. Most of the time they quit charging and can be rebuilt.
No luck on a replacement yet, the one that came in Thursday did not bolt up. Dealer said they have the last one in USA on its way be Monday

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Thought the US had a 100K warranty on engine and drivetrain or did I imagine that?
You are a very funny man. >:)

No, any decent warranty coverage was killed over here around 2008. The era of Winterkorn and cost cutting.

Now VW will tell us that the adblue has nothing to do with emissions. So even an adblue system failure is NOT covered under the legally required emissions warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had mine rebuilt in Milwaukee, called around to 4 places before I found someone that would take it on. $225, new front and rear shaft bearings and brushes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your willing to wait, he can have it rebuilt in 1.5 days after he gets it.
Ask for Perry, if he doesn't answer,
+1 (414) 372-9220
D P Tech Rebuilders LLC
1401 W Atkinson Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53206

·
Registered
827 Posts
Good time to bring up the extended warranty for TREG owners 10yrs and 100k miles,don't leave home without it on these cars.

Sorry for your troubles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts