Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the next 30 days I plan to install a new set of tires on my 2013 Touareg. I can clearly see that it will need an alignment due to the tire wear (outside edges) so I asked the dealer for a quote to do this.

4 Wheel alignment - $129.00
Calibration of systems (including rear view camera) - approx $230

I asked if the calibration was optional and they said it was required, especially due to the rear backup camera.

I hardly use the backup camera, especially the turning lines, so is this a bunch of BS and should I just let my local NTB handle the tire swap and alignment? They are quoting right around $100 for a full alignment.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I had a dealership I was working at at the time, non-VW, align my T3, and it did NOT require any sort of calibration.

That said, I still don't like NTB, but would rather pay then than a dealership that says that they need to " . . . calibrate systems. . . "

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a dealership I was working at, non-VW, align my T3, and it did NOT require any sort of calibration.

That said, I still don't like NTB, but would rather pay then than a dealership that says that they need to " . . . calibrate systems. . . "
Agreed, I may find another indie to handle the alignment. I would prefer to have the dealership handle as I've heard it can be tricky to do properly, but I'm not paying over $200 for a rear camera calibration.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Agreed, I may find another indie to handle the alignment. I would prefer to have the dealership handle as I've heard it can be tricky to do properly, but I'm not paying over $200 for a rear camera calibration.
I would not buy into it being " . . . tricky to do properly . . . ". It is a vehicle like any other with all the same adjustments as every other vehicle has.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Within the next 30 days I plan to install a new set of tires on my 2013 Touareg. I can clearly see that it will need an alignment due to the tire wear (outside edges) so I asked the dealer for a quote to do this.

I asked if the calibration was optional and they said it was required, especially due to the rear backup camera.

I hardly use the backup camera, especially the turning lines, so is this a bunch of BS and should I just let my local NTB handle the tire swap and alignment? They are quoting right around $100 for a full alignment.
First thanks for the heads up on this; I recently had the last 'free' VW maintenance done on my '13 T-Reg and due to the fact that they simply left a message at my home rather than call me on my cell during the day it was in (which is my primary contact number for my car) I picked it up later that evening and I noticed on the receipt that they mentioned it needed an alignment -- how 'bad' off it was from spec's I'll never know but after 30K miles, all the tires appeared to wearing well (I really like the 18" OEM Conti's; nice ride and have held up well) and the car didn't drift so I was a bit skeptical. Now that the 'free' checks are done I'll probably simply have my independent shop check it out at its next tire rotation; when the time comes when I needed new tires I'll get them from him as well... 'calibrate the rear camera' seems far fetched but could I suppose it could involve doing some kind of quick check; certainly not $200 worth though IMO

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd find a good independent alignment shop that will road force balance your tires as well
^ This ^. No problem with the local alignment specialty shop aligning my T3. I have never used a dealership for an alignment. It's like buying seafood at a steak house.....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts

Does your rear view camera have moving guide lines when you turn the steering wheel?

Make sure the independent shop has done an alignment on a Touareg, Cayanne or Q7 before, it's very easy to mess up the alignment. GET A COPY OF THE ALIGNMENT PRINT OFF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your rear view camera have moving guide lines when you turn the steering wheel?

Make sure the independent shop has done an alignment on a Touareg, Cayanne or Q7 before, it's very easy to mess up the alignment.

Yes, they move with the steering wheel.

I found a highly recommended local tire shop to complete the work.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, they move with the steering wheel.

I found a highly recommended local tire shop to complete the work.
The tire shop is not going to have the VWAG tools to adapt the camera to the new Toe angles. As long as they can re adapt the G85 steering angle sensor after alignment you will be okay, otherwise the sight lines may be off on the camera.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As I needed a 4-wheel alignment for my '13 T-Reg as well (and needed them to just check that brake clip recall, first chance I had to bring it in); I asked them about this whole rear camera thing -- this is really only needed if you've had suspension damage (bent wheel and possibly chassis parts, etc.) and/or some major body work recently done --- otherwise simply NOT needed. My Chicago area dealer wanted $179 for the 4-wheel alignment but brought it down to $161 with a 10% off VW dealer service program they've been promoting; perhaps a bit more pricey but this shop has always done well for me. I've got a big trip ahead at the end of the month -- my 18" Continental OEM tires still look great after 34K+ miles. Like others have said, if they insist on adjusting the camera have them show you how far out of spec's your T-Reg is -- I'm sure someone on the forum may have really needed this done due to suspension and/or body damage perhaps at one time to give us a clue. With the newer 360 degree camera setup's perhaps they're more sensitive but the '13's didn't have these so that doesn't apply.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts