Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sick of my crappy HID headlights. I've replaced the bulbs with quality new D1S units, but there was only a marginal improvement. Driving in rain is scary, it's like I have no lights at all! I'm looking to replace the projectors with some good aftermarket units. I was looking at these: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-products/morimoto-retroquik-universal.html?carDisplay=2010+Volkswagen+Touareg+(HID+Equipped)&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1 which are supposed to be a direct replacement. I've asked whether they will retain AFS functionality - they likely do. The price is right at $150 USD. Does anyone have any experience with these specifically on a T2 with factory HID and AFS? Or on another vehicle?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you try to clean the projector lens(not the headlight lens)? And lower the aim helped put more light on the closer ground. I think the T2 HID projector headlight is pretty good. But If you really want to change the projector, I think the hard part is open the housing and seal it back. After that, I think you just need some trim and cut to fit the projector. The AFS function is drive by two separate servo motors. All you need to do is connect them back to the stock position.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My plastic lens in near invisible it's so clean. I'm not too excited about disassembling the unit to clean the projector lens and reflector. But I guess that's the next step before going ahead with new projectors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No need to disassembling the headlight to clean the lens, remove the headlight from the car, remove the HID bulb, you will find a way to clean the lens, a chopstick and a good clean fabric will do.
If I were you, I will definitely replace the projector if I have to open the housing. The stock projector cut line is too soft, I like a sharp cut line. Compare to open the housing, replace the projector should be easy.

·
Registered
730 Posts
No need to disassembling the headlight to clean the lens, remove the headlight from the car, remove the HID bulb, you will find a way to clean the lens, a chopstick and a good clean fabric will do.
If I were you, I will definitely replace the projector if I have to open the housing. The stock projector cut line is too soft, I like a sharp cut line. Compare to open the housing, replace the projector should be easy.
Um, be very careful if you do this. Other VAG headlights (Audi) have fragile chrome plating on the reflector, and you can damage it with very little effort.

Not sure how the interior of the headlight (the lens) would get dirty anyway, unless you're spending a lot of time in very dusty environments...

In my experience, it's the outer surface of the lens that gets damaged by both road grit and UV light. Refinishing the exterior and then treating with UV protectant has worked very well for me on a handful of Audis and VWs...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If the outer plastic is clear, then I don't know what to say, other than make sure your lights are adjusted correctly. <shrug>

When I bought my Eos, the HIDs were not adjusted correctly. Once adjusted properly, the difference was amazing.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Eos HIDs are another issue. They need new bulbs and one is flickering over bumps. I have to check all the wiring on them.

My Touareg lights were just recently aimed, but I'll see if I can have a go at adjusting them myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts