Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody point me to information about the T2 standard non-locking rear differential?

I understand that there was a locking differential option but I am trying to figure out if the standard rear differential used is a limited slip or was limited slip an additional option.

Thanks for any information.

Erik

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If all the literature is to be believed, the non-locking diff is just an open differential. The Touareg uses the brakes to create an pseudo-locking differential by braking the spinning wheel that loses traction.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
On vehicles without a locking rear differential both front and rear are open spool units with no internal slip control. All traction control is managed using the vehicle brakes. No cones or clutches fitted front or back. The centre diff contains a clutch pack which is used to control front to rear bias.

Stuart...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
On vehicles without a locking rear differential both front and rear are open spool units with no internal slip control. All traction control is managed using the vehicle brakes. No cones or clutches fitted front or back. The centre diff contains a clutch pack which is used to control front to rear bias. Stuart...
And when ESP is turned off?

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
And when ESP is turned off?
To the best of my knowledge, from everything that I have been able to read and from a few hours in the dirt when the ESP off you have a full open drive line.

That's why it helps to have ESP off in deep sand..

Stuart...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yup. With ESP off, if they're loose, you can spin one front and one rear wheel forever. AMHIK.

I was rocking the car back and forth and finally got out of the snow. That's when I remembered that I could have just put it in low range and locked the diffs. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts