Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To elaborate, new rims are not an option, as a matter of fact I just bought a 5th stock rim for a spare. I plan to demote the Treg to a work vehicle and will need to be able to handle some occasional snow and rough rocky terrain on job sites in Northern AZ. I planned to go 255/60/19 which will give me 31" diameter, stock is 29". My ride height has not been altered but if I compare to other Tregs I appear to be. Just compare mine to Jkors that he installed a spacer kit. His ride height does not seem very different at all from mine. As a matter of fact when I bought this Treg from my friends dealership I asked him if it had air ride or was lifted because it didn't appear stock (but it is). This is one of the things that appealed to me.

Look at Jkors Treg compared to mine. Here is his original post.

My concern now when I look inside the wheel well I will very to close to hitting the upper control mounts, there is less than an inch to the top of the tire (assuming the tire was wider and was under it.

Thoughts, can I still fit a 31" tire in here if I don't go wider?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 255/55/19 Falken Wildpeaks on mine and they both fit without rubbing, and look great. I almost went with 255/60's but they were not XL load rated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 255/55/19 Falken Wildpeaks on mine and they both fit without rubbing, and look great. I almost went with 255/60's but they were not XL load rated.

View attachment 239728
Thanks for the info, this is one of the tires I am looking at too. I was looking at the 255/60/19. I guess I will have to review the load capacity.

Nice looking Treg. Is the ride height stock; solid or air?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info, this is one of the tires I am looking at too. I was looking at the 255/60/19. I guess I will have to review the load capacity.

Nice looking Treg. Is the ride height stock; solid or air?
Air. I didn't measure with the old tires VS the new unfortunately but it definitely sits a little taller and it rides great and is considerably quieter. I debated for MONTHS about what size tire to go with and almost bought 17" wheels because I just couldnt fathom that some of the taller ones would clear. I visited a local shop where the owner has a T2 with 255/60's just to physically see for myself. Ordered mine the next day...

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you look at my profile picture it still had the oem size tires just for comparison. Granted they were waaaaaay worn when I took that picture but still...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air. I didn't measure with the old tires VS the new unfortunately but it definitely sits a little taller and it rides great and is considerably quieter. I debated for MONTHS about what size tire to go with and almost bought 17" wheels because I just couldnt fathom that some of the taller ones would clear. I visited a local shop where the owner has a T2 with 255/60's just to physically see for myself. Ordered mine the next day...
Was that a typo or did they actually run that size and not the 255/55 that you went with?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was that a typo or did they actually run that size and not the 255/55 that you went with?
He actually ran the 255/60's. Also to clarify these are the WildPeak A/T Trail not the AT3 as they don't offer the AT3 in 19".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He actually ran the 255/60's. Also to clarify these are the WildPeak A/T Trail not the AT3 as they don't offer the AT3 in 19".
Thanks. As stated by my origial post text, the bottom bolt of my upper control arm is very close as is, I fear I would be close to rubbing it. If I went with 255/60/19 (which I really want to) that is just shy of 2" larger which brings me 1" closer to that upper control arm bolt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. As stated by my origial post text, the bottom bolt of my upper control arm is very close as is, I fear I would be close to rubbing it. If I went with 255/60/19 (which I really want to) that is just shy of 2" larger which brings me 1" closer to that upper control arm bolt.
That was my worry also. When I went and looked at the other guys 255/60's I could run my finger between that bolt and the tire but barely. That's why I went with the 55's. And if you think about it, technically it only gets 1/2" closer as the total difference is one inch but from the center of the hub it's half that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was my worry also. When I went and looked at the other guys 255/60's I could run my finger between that bolt and the tire but barely. That's why I went with the 55's. And if you think about it, technically it only gets 1/2" closer as the total difference is one inch but from the center of the hub it's half that.
Well if he was running them it must work. I just want to have every bit of more ground clearance I can get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought our 08 Treg used for a good AWD winter beater w a heater. It came w 255/45/20 (aftermarket) on it. No OEM. I currently have 275/45/20 P-Xero's and have no issues. I've seen & talked to guys that had larger, wider on the back than the front, but not sure how negative that is for driveline ECM. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought our 08 Treg used for a good AWD winter beater w a heater. It came w 255/45/20 (aftermarket) on it. No OEM. I currently have 275/45/20 P-Xero's and have no issues. I've seen & talked to guys that had larger, wider on the back than the front, but not sure how negative that is for driveline ECM. Good luck
Sorry, fat finger typo P-Zero

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. Although wider, the outside on both those sizes is very close to mine now of 29 and 29.7" according to www.tiresize.com/calculator. What I need to know is if I go 31" or more will I be in danger of rubbing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts