Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.... I figured out that the lower headlight adjuster controls the vertical aim of the main beam.

But what does the other (top) adjuster do??? I've twirled it in both directions and nothing happens

The adjuster gears and shafts are not broken. I removed the headlight and lubed up the mechanism before I started trying to turn it.

Am I missing something???

Attachments

· Registered
20,262 Posts
I think that should be side to side but the memory banks are dimly recalling that you may need VCDS to adjust xenons.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that the VCDS just "locked" the headlights into the neutral position. But if your vehicle is already "balanced", that should not be an issue. I have air suspension, so it's already "leveled" to the ground, so no issues there.

I thought it was the side-to-side (left-right) adjustment, too, but nothing seems to happen. <shrug>

At least they're not blinding oncoming traffic now. :- )

FWIW, I would recommend removing the headlight and lubing the adjustment mechanism before trying to adjust them. Over time, dirt will accumulate on the top of the gears and when you try to turn them, the dirt will clog the gears and that's how they break. It's not necessarily a faulty design, just a lack of cleaning.

· Registered
20,262 Posts
Good advice on lubrication, but if you do break any of the adjusters because they get brittle with age and heat, don't worry, the parts are available from VW dealers.

Best to take the headlight to the parts guy to locate the right parts numbers. My guy then posted them to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.