Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed an aftermarket deck and now I'm going to install the OEM VW rear tailgate camera handle with an aftermarket camera.

I'm using Parts:

7L6827609 for the handle
Clarion Corporation of America CC510 Compact Automotive Color Camera
3M double sticky tape
Permatex 82180 Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone
Heat Shrink tubing for the rear cable connection

So far, I've received both the handle and the camera and test fit them and found them to fit great.

I've used the 3M sticky tape to hold the bottom of the camera to the handle so I could then use pieces of rubber to shim the camera perfectly in the slot (camera eye being square in the handle sight hole); followed by RTVing it into place. Now waiting out the cure time and I'll start to finish the space between the backside of the camera and the handle mount.

Here's some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've taken apart the rear hatch and it seems that my micro switch for the handle isn't compatible with the new handle... So doing a search here is what I've just ordered.

Micro switch w/ rear camera 7L6962104

Nothing with the Touareg is ever straight forward! On the plus side I got to rewire my hatch light... When removing the rear hatch trim be sure to remove the light as soon as you loosen the bottom of the hatch trim. There isn't any give in the wiring to let you play with the trim in the removal process. So 20min re-pinning and replacing the 10a fuse.

I'll upload some pictures at work later.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here is the final position of the camera lens, and it being RTV'd in. On the backside I used a removable rubber spacer to fill the gap between the camera and the metal plate (about 1/4 inch) not that I expect the camera to ever move but just to make it permanent.

On the backside of the handle you can see a button and a slot next to it (top of the handle next to one of the screws), that's where the new micro-switch will sit.

On the old handle you can see the micro-switch is on the side and uses a completely different switch mechanism.

I ended up using Keffer VW for the part, since I was already ordering replacement trim pieces and a spoiler for the back. The nice thing about Keffer I've found is that all the parts are associated (clickable) with the breakdown schematics... So its easier to find parts that are associated and they have better prices then ECSTuning (we'll see about the shipping in a few days).

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like its too small with the overall length.

Also, (1) I picked out a better quality camera so that I wouldn't have to deal with a terrible picture in bad conditions and (2) this camera is spec'd for being connected to switched 12v constant (I'll be able to use it driving, for what who knows?!).

Thanks for the post though!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
So here is the final position of the camera lens, and it being RTV'd in. On the backside I used a removable rubber spacer to fill the gap between the camera and the metal plate (about 1/4 inch) not that I expect the camera to ever move but just to make it permanent.

On the backside of the handle you can see a button and a slot next to it (top of the handle next to one of the screws), that's where the new micro-switch will sit.

On the old handle you can see the micro-switch is on the side and uses a completely different switch mechanism.

I ended up using Keffer VW for the part, since I was already ordering replacement trim pieces and a spoiler for the back. The nice thing about Keffer I've found is that all the parts are associated (clickable) with the breakdown schematics... So its easier to find parts that are associated and they have better prices then ECSTuning (we'll see about the shipping in a few days).
Good work I love reverse cameras
What actuates your tailgate to open as my handle is electric and I see no other wires except the camera wires?
The micro switch you showed earlier on?

That's a nice project, lots of effort. Or you could have just bought one of these...

Rear View Camera for Audi / Volkswagen - GsmServer

That camera will not fit it is too small at 110mm long when the Touareg handle is about 128mm long.

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good work I love reverse cameras
What actuates your tailgate to open as my handle is electric and I see no other wires except the camera wires?
The micro switch you showed earlier on?

Regards
Drag
Yep on the new handle I don't have the micro-switch installed. See the pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Where do you root the cable back to your head unit? This is the only bit I'm struggling with its a long way hahaha

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where do you root the cable back to your head unit? This is the only bit I'm struggling with its a long way hahaha
I'll root it along the passenger side bottom of the Touareg to the glove box and then left to the head unit. I have a lot of different cable snakes and might also try the ceiling just to see if its easier.

The Cord on the camera is about 5ft long and then it has a single mating point to the larger 30ft cable that runs to the headunit. The power and ground are with the AV connection plug not in the tailgate itself. So the wiring will be simple and invisible to the eye.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wondering the same.

I've seen a lot of these already built together too, just didn't know the reliability. http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-PARKING-REVERSE-CAYENNE-TOUAREG/dp/B00GMMJUJC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451416514&sr=8-2&keywords=touareg+backup+camera
From what I've seen those work, but I wanted something more OEM looking, more center-line and with a better camera.

As for the reliability, it seems just like another cheap electronic that probably has the normal lottery of working like a champ, sometimes or DOA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ty. So from trunk. Through rubber gator at top then down somehow to floor area then run along passenger floor into unit. Sounds easy enough.

I'd like to try roof also and run it down the door pillar.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got my ECS package, some other parts held up the order (apparently you can't get Teak trim parts anymore, like the drivers switches trim and the passenger window switch trim its back-ordered until the end of time both through ECS and VW themselves).

I fitted the new sensor to the tailgate handle, snaps into place and then installed it in the tailgate(not pictured). Works like a champ, the click feels different but I'm just glad it all fits perfectly and functions.

My next step is fishing the camera wire up the hatch, through the opening and into the car. I only had a few hours and I burnt a few messing around with the Cayenne sway bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally just about finished (running the wiring through the headliner to the hatch :censored:). That has got to be the worst place for a set of grommets! Seriously unless you have magical elves that can do it for you after they fix your shoes in the middle of the night; its atrocious.

So I ran the cable from the passenger side footwell, up through the middle of the dash to connect the Camera RCA to the N6 Deck, then ran the adjoining power and ground straight over to the drivers side fuse box and jumped off the TPMS system (could be anything switched). Tossed the wire into the back to finally verified the camera worked (lol yes I've been busy :wink:) and it was good to go. I'll pop a picture tomorrow to show the picture through the deck and the output.

After that I set to running the wire back (Well I haven't yet exactly) I ran it along the bottom of the passenger side, up the rear passenger seat and into the back where it mates in the CD changer/ First Aid pull out (wires drop down from up above from the camera/ rear fog lights in the tailgate).

As for the tailgate wires; I removed the right side trim piece from the hatch door and thats where you'll find the grommet for the rest of the wires for the right side of the hatch (brake lights and actuator wiring). I popped a nick in the grommet next to the wiring rung (there are 2 runs) and then pulled mine through and RTV'd the escape point. From there you run it up the hatch about a foot and then you'll see the two grommets on the roof line. One is the rear wiper fluid line and the other is the wire run. Not much to say other than its just about easier to replace your hatch struts then nick and RTV a point in there!

From there you drop the wire down and I routed it down the rear Trim point following the rear fluid tube into the CD changer/ First aid hatch. The ease of access is just perfect and that leaves me the 2 extra line drops for the rear fogs perhaps tomorrow or next weekend.

Since the last work I've been driving around a month or two without the rear hatch door trim on and I'll say its interesting! In that any time your reverse you light up the back of the hatch! Same with braking a little! So it'll be night having a night time drive without the light show. :razz:

I will say its cool having a backup cam finally in the Egg, and with the N6 and continuous 12v running (switched of course) I can press the camera button on the deck and I get the rear cam picture anytime! I'm sure that'll come in handy sometime. :twisted:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Had a fun day today hooking up a rear cam to my 2004.
good news was that the old numberplate camera worked when i plugged it into the new monitor yay.
The new monitor came with 2 cameras, my plan was to have one on the rear of the car and one on the camper trailer.
got stuck in and pulled off interior panels managed to run the cables out an existing grommet (with the help of some grease) under the RHS tail light
when i got to the rear door sill I realised I wasn't going to have enough cable to get to the back of the trailer
so the final connection will have to wait until after the Kimberly trip.
in the interim the cables will connect up under the drivers seat.
I was just about to put all the panels back and thought I'd check the cam's again, it was then I found I'd put the cables
in backwards, Dammmm... male at cam and female at monitor...
fortunatley I worked out that by taping the 2 females together i could pull one push one the end back through and likewise with the males.
You got to laugh at these things.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good save! Are you going to be literally placing the camera on your bumper facing the trailer? Just trying to picture pulling wires out the bottom bumper area (Next to the tow hitch grommet?)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts