Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I discovered about a month ago, that passengers carpet was soaking wet. Search from the internet and forum gave two most likely options - A/C water or clogged up drain holes. I removed as much plastics surrounding it, that I could get underneath it and dry it as much as possible, because of the foam under it. Two weeks later I checked it and it was wet again. Dried it and blow through the A/C pipe, also removed rubber seals and cleaned drain holes behind the front wheels plastic. All seemed working, water goes through everywhere where I tested with water canister, also A/C condens. water looks dripping nicely underneath. Yesterday, after weekend of heavy rains, it was soaking again - is there any place more, where the water can get in before I start bigger operation to remove carpet(I'd rather not do this, but if it's the only chance...)?
Seems that the water is not coming from above behind the clove compartment, this wall seems to be dry, just the floor.

· Registered
764 Posts
Have you checked sunroof drain, common problem as there is a 90° bend in the line where windshield pillar meets dashboard. Use search function and check out threads in sunroof drains

· Registered
115 Posts
Had the same issue w my 2004 v8, also had water near spare tire in the trunk. All of my roof drains were clogged. For the floor in the front that is definitely the front drains clogged. It's pretty easy to clean and flush them... should be a diy for it too. I did it once and didn't have an issue for the next two years I owned the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the same issue w my 2004 v8, also had water near spare tire in the trunk. All of my roof drains were clogged. For the floor in the front that is definitely the front drains clogged. It's pretty easy to clean and flush them... should be a diy for it too. I did it once and didn't have an issue for the next two years I owned the car.

Hey,

Even doh I don't have sunroof, there are sunroof or roof drains also?

· Registered
115 Posts
Good question, but there still should be drains in the front I believe for water. Mine on my 04 were under the front windshield cowl I had to clean and flush then w a hose. Maybe someone else will know. I didn't realize you didn't have a sunroof...

· Registered
548 Posts
Check the three plastic plugs under the door sills. The hollow sills can fill with water, where from is a mystery. If the car is parked downhill, it appears that water can migrate to the carpet by capillary action.
Well that is my theory.

The front most plug has a oneway valve to let water drain from the sill. However, it gets clogged over time and as a result the water will not drain out.

Just flip the plugs out with a flat blade screwdriver to see if you have water trapped in the sill.

If so clean the valve in the front plug and re-insert all three.

If not look else where.

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Yeah, you need to permanently remove the rubber drain valves on each side of the plenum and fish the pine needles etc. out of the plenum, rinsing with clean water from the windshield. The drains are easiest to access if you remove the wheel liners but can also be reached from underneath.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, you need to permanently remove the rubber drain valves on each side of the plenum and fish the pine needles etc. out of the plenum, rinsing with clean water from the windshield. The drains are easiest to access if you remove the wheel liners but can also be reached from underneath.
Rubber drain valves are removed about a month ago and water flows through okay, also A/C drain seems ok, because I can see water dripping underneath car when A/C is on. Week ago blowed the A/C hose through with compressed air and sounded ok.
Because I don't have sunroof, then it's drainage failure is unlikely, there are no drain holes on roof.
Haven't tried these three plugs under door sills yet...

· Registered
51 Posts
Yep, been there - done that :) I've chased water intrusion into passenger footwell for long-long time and tried all the well documented 'fixes'. None worked. After much experimentation I discovered that the AC condensate was leaking in at the point where the AC drain pipe passes thru the firewall. There's a metal plate that passes the hose thru and seals to the outside. The plate is glued to the firewall on the inside of the footwell but in my case the sealant had failed allowing AC condensate to leak inside. I've documented my fix in this thread http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/water-in-passengers-footwell-177537.html, post #9. It's been dry ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.