Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2004 V8 Touareg with OEM Xenon

Light output is dismal, as many have noticed in other threads. HID bulbs age with time. I have experience this first hand in another platform where the output was so bad passengers didnt even know when the lights were on haha

So with LED bulbs hitting the market with advertised better and better light output, now even exceeding the lumens of HID bulbs, has anyone taken the plunge and installed a set? Trying to decide before I drop in a new set of OEM bulbs if it might be worth it or an upgrade to use new CREE or LED bulbs.

If so, pics? Thoughts? Fitment issues (many LED bulbs have large bulky heatsinks), heat issues? Adjustable motor issues?

My night vision is poor as it is, so anything can help. If there was a lightbar that wouldnt blind oncoming traffic, it would already be installed haha

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I think you'd end up spending more, if not the same $ on a GOOD LED bulb equivalent. I think the HIDs are really good. Light years (sorry) ahead of incandescent bulbs.

Also, remember that the housing is designed for a specific type of bulb. It is VERY hard to get an LED to mimic the characteristics of an incandescent or HID bulb.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My night vision is poor as it is, so anything can help. If there was a lightbar that wouldnt blind oncoming traffic, it would already be installed haha
I'd strongly suggest that you have the wiring and housings checked. Make sure that you're getting proper voltage to the bulb, that the reflector looks clean and the outer lens is relatively clear.

Then replace the bulbs with a set of high quality HID bulbs (not Chinese knockoffs).

Then...add a pair of quality fog or aux (not driving) lamps under (city/suburban) or on the front bumper (rural). Take a look at rallylights.com for the Optilux freeform fog lights for under bumper use or the Hella 500 or 4000 for top of bumper rural use.

One thing you don't want to do is to get really bright fog lights that further diminish your night vision (your eyes will adjust to the additional nearfield light and reduce your ability to see things further away) *and* blind oncoming drivers!

Quality lights and good wiring (proper wiring, relays) is critical. Don't cheap out...you won't like the results. Stay away from the LED light bars...they put out a lot of uncontrolled light...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Excellent advice from lml999.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the info. What I am seeing appears consistent with what I have experienced when HID bulbs have aged. So I was just curious if there is any advantage with some of the presently available LED kits on the market before just re-buying stock bulbs. However, as you mentioned, housing design plays a large factor.

It should be noted, that on top of avoiding cheap chinese bulbs, its is also important to buy genuine bulbs from an authorized distributor to ensure you actually get genuine bulbs. Ebay and Amazon are full of fakes.

Has anyone made the jump to 55w ballasts without any ill effects?

If nothing else I will likely buy a pair of Osram Xenarc 66144 CBI, as I have always wanted to give them a try, or maybe the new Philips 85415XV

Fun little bulb test:

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/fo...s-bulb-test?59209-The-Ultimate-D2S-Bulb-Test=

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I recommend the Philips XD 50+ 5000k Xenon bulbs. I recently purchased a set from hidconcepts (Mike) and they are amazing.

Great throw of very white light (no blue). Best bulbs I've had in my Touareg and the price won't break the bank. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts