Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken a spin on Google and I can't find anything about this being attempted. I remember a post by Nickm referencing that its been done (I believe it was a few years ago).

Has anyone heard of a T2 color cluster being installed in a T1? Reading a post in the canshack thread I see that Hedditch wrote that the Canbus 2.0 module is in the cluster. What kind of repercussions are we looking at after installing that in a T1? I personally have the Canshack adapter and an aftermarket head unit, so there's one problem out of the way (Cluster - Nav talk). I'm not sure about other modules being able to talk back and forth through Vagcom?

Essentially I want to upgrade a few electronics to skip over having to move up to an 08-10. :-k Ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just get the T1 color screen.

It's a solid upgrade as is, and plug and play.

Why go through all the hassle?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the color instrument cluster... It just looks so dated.

·
Learner
5,017 Posts
Interesting, i too now wonder if this is possible. I see your point re the t1 being dated.
You can try...

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
You are going to be upgrading tons of modules.

Unless you have a cash pile (or a donor T2) the cost is going to be what kills the idea.

It would be cheaper to buy a T2 and sell the T1 then buy all the parts needed for the upgrade at "dealer" prices.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are going to be upgrading tons of modules. Unless you have a cash pile (or a donor T2) the cost is going to be what kills the idea. It would be cheaper to buy a T2 and sell the T1 then buy all the parts needed for the upgrade at "dealer" prices.
See that's what I'm wondering. As for getting the modules I would just use eBay, no sense in throwing away money at the dealer! I took at few more hours last night and there is quite a few sites that deal in canbus hacking and modifications. I found a few users with Touaregs had already started IDing all the addresses.

Eitherway it sounds like I need to pick up vagtechno since that's the easiest way modify modules.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I think you are suggesting the Impossible!!!

The VW Touareg, as you know is a Bosch CAN Bus controlled vehicle. One of the most critical components in the CAN Bus architecture is the CAN Gateway. This unit is, in effect and function, a network Router, which controls the flow of data between the three discrete networks found in the Touareg. Those networks are "Power-train", "Convenience" and "Infotainment" CAN Bus segments. Power-train runs at a much higher band width than the other two and cannot communicate with them without having the "router" interpret between them. The other two can co-exist on the same BUS however the use different protocols and again must rely on the "router" to share information.

Here is where the problem arises. In all other VW CAN Bus deployments, the CAN Gateway (Router) is a discrete component and can be swapped out with later versions. Something I have done on my Jetta to gain more modern functionality. However in the Touareg the CAN Gateway in integrated into the Instrument Cluster and can only be swapped between vehicles with the SAME version of CAN Bus deployment. Your T1 is CAN 1.6 and the T2 is CAN 2.0.

Yes you can do this upgrade and I have read of one instance where it was done, however it requires the replacement of every CAN Bus managed device in the vehicle with the equivalent unit from a T2. This is a massively expensive task, and as such I would suggest that it would be uneconomic to contemplate unless you had a very extraordinary vehicle.

Sorry to rain on your parade...

Stuart....

Reactions: Fourdiesel

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are suggesting the Impossible!!!

Yes you can do this upgrade and I have read of one instance where it was done, however it requires the replacement of every CAN Bus managed device in the vehicle with the equivalent unit from a T2.

Stuart....
Do you know by chance where you saw it had been done? Taking a look on ebay for Touareg modules, it seems like it could be done for 1-1.5k. My T's not especially special, however at the cost of picking up another Touareg (My 04 only has 70k miles) the savings are way over 10k.

I'll do the home work, I'm just looking for tips if anyone can remember where they've seen anything. :p

Ebay 2008 module search

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
This person fitted ACC into a CAN Bus 1.6, but again it involved a full module swap...

Stuart....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts