Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 treg and I cannot get my headlights to work on both sides. The DRL, turn signals and the amber running lights all work fine. I've replaced the HID bulbs, ballasts and still nothing. I'm getting power at the fuse boxes with my multi meter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only other thing I can think of is a bad onboard body power supply J519.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I forgot to mention, the wiring in both headlight Assemblies looks to be in good condition, no cracking or exposed wires

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
In bi-xenon headlights the same bulb provides both the low and high beams, and there's no change in light intensity either when you turn the latter on, just a light shutter moving out of the way and allowing the headlight to shine farther. The other bulb is only used for flashing and possibly as cornering light.

So, if your actual problem is that "if I look at the headlight, I have one bulb on with low beam on but even if I switch high beam on, it's still only the same bulb staying on, and I can't get the other one to get on", then you have no problem at all. If you have something else, then describe it in detail beyond "not working", and also read fault codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In bi-xenon headlights the same bulb provides both the low and high beams, and there's no change in light intensity either when you turn the latter on, just a light shutter moving out of the way and allowing the headlight to shine farther. The other bulb is only used for flashing and possibly as cornering light.

So, if your actual problem is that "if I look at the headlight, I have one bulb on with low beam on but even if I switch high beam on, it's still only the same bulb staying on, and I can't get the other one to get on", then you have no problem at all. If you have something else, then describe it in detail beyond "not working", and also read fault codes.
I have no fault codes, when I turn the headlight switch on, the HIDs do not come on at all, the bulb does not light up, even with high beams on.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have no fault codes, when I turn the headlight switch on, the HIDs do not come on at all, the bulb does not light up, even with high beams on.
So, you're saying you turn the headlight switch to the rightmost setting (not Auto), and you see absolutely no light emitted from the headlight whatsoever? Is that right?

Or you do have some bulbs coming on in the headlight, just not that or not all the bulbs that you think should light up? If the latter, then send a picture of your headlights when they're on but not lighting up the way you think they should!

Also what device did you use to check for fault codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I start the car and turn the headlights on(not auto)
1) the amber running lights come on
2) daytime running lights are on
3) the HID do not turn on
I'm using OBDeleven to scan
I will also attach a picture later

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As already explained above, there's no problem with your headlight, because for one, on bi-xenon headlights the same bulb (which is the outer one, that's on in your picture) is used to generate both the low and high beams, and the other bulb (the inner one, which is off in your picture) is only used for flashing; and because the bulb you have on is the xenon (HID) one.

You only have a problem with the headlight if even when you turn the high beam on, the distance the light travels to doesn't change. But you can mostly only check that at night when it's dark, because in the daylight you will obviously not see how far the headlight shines. If there's no difference in the latter even if the high beam is turned on, then the shutter mechanism inside of the headlight is somehow broken.

But you shouldn't and won't be able to see any difference between which bulb(s) light(s) up and at what intensity they shine when looking at the headlights during daytime, because neither of those should and does change with the high beam turned on. And the other bulb is only supposed to light up if you pull the stalk, to flash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts