Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work we have a test track also containing a 45 degree slope. It is of concrete and about 10 meters high. It is formed with great precision and is 3-4 meter wide and walled in by a concrete fence at about 0.5 meters height. So there is no chance of falling of.

A colleague did drive us up there once in a L200. He did use the "speed" technique which did get us up, but completely lacked any refinement.

I plan on taking on this in my T1. BUT, I will try the "slow and steady" approach. Dry conditions, locked in LOW and 1st gear.

Is there any special precautions I should take?

· Registered
20,262 Posts
This guy forgot to engage low gear!

And I didn't use enough welly the first time [the ramp was wet and muddy by now is my excuse!]:

· Registered
1,723 Posts
touareg can climb 45 degree hills without any problem, especially test facility that has been prepared it, you can only use low range, you dont need to lock center diff or rear if you have one, you dont need any special preparing for that, you will be surprised how easy it can get you there :) take a video if you can and share it with us :)
this is my video climbing about 40 degree hill with only low reange and you can see there is no drama, it gust gets you there and thats it :)
same video form the cockpit :)

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I expect the grip to be exceptional, but do the 3.2 have enough torque to haul itself slowly up the ramp? And the gearbox cooling is adequate at 45 degrees?

I have enough experience with hardware (6x6) overheating in steep climbs. But the T1 have no warning of overheating gearbox? I don't plan to stay too long though...

· Registered
1,723 Posts
this is the longest and steepest hill i have climbed with my V8, action starts @ 11 min and it does not seem very steep but trust me its steeper then the first video i posted and its 10 times longer climb so thats the reason it can not be seen prom the GoPro dashcam,

· Registered
1,827 Posts
if anything, just deflate your tyres a little for extra grip. The treg will manage just fine.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Regarding 3.2 torque question ability to climb: the answer is yes. The reason is gear ratio torque multiplication (especially L1): allows human being to pull stuck car from ditch "by hand." Similar principle (force multiplication) is believed to have been used to build Stonehenge.

For example: In low range I can back a trailer loaded with sand over a curb at idle using only the brakes to slow (no throttle).

· Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
You will be fine. You will have more traction on that then some steep stuff I climbed offroad with my T1. Low range and 1st gear is all you need.

· Registered
502 Posts
this is the longest and steepest hill i have climbed with my V8, action starts @ 11 min and it does not seem very steep but trust me its steeper then the first video i posted and its 10 times longer climb so thats the reason it can not be seen prom the GoPro dashcam, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSwwkAb_d9I
Google Earth is amazing!
Just for fun, I thought i would try to find your hill.

I found it!

:smile2:

Attachments

· Registered
533 Posts
I suspect you'll be just fine. Here's a short clip of our T1 climbing a small hill that was difficult to walk up.

We did put it in 4x4 low and lockers but it would have just cruised up in 4x4 high if only I'd given it a bit of boot. :)

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Google Earth is amazing!
Just for fun, I thought i would try to find your hill.

I found it!

:smile2:
Wow :D Today i was visiting the Lisi lake again but not for offroading, i was there with my family:) and i walked around and saw toyota L76 Getting ready to climb on the same exact hill, He made it, with little bit of a wheel spin and dust but hi did climb on top :)

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
To use hill decent assist, have the vehicle in tiptronic, first gear and be in low range. DO NOT touch the brake once you start down hill or hill decent will be turned off until you again come to a complete stop.

Post pictures! I have done a few near 45 degree accents and decents in Moab Utah.

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To use hill decent assist, have the vehicle in tiptronic, first gear and be in low range. DO NOT touch the brake once you start down hill or hill decent will be turned off until you again come to a complete stop. Post pictures! I have done a few near 45 degree accents and decents in Moab Utah.
Hill decent worked nearly all the way down, but ¾ way down the rpm spiked and I had to use the brakes.

· Administrator
4,378 Posts
Did the grade remain steep at 3/4 or did it start to level out? Its a funny beast. If you touch ANYTHING (gearing, brakes) it turns off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.