Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened on my 2004 V8. My driveshaft center carrier bearing finally bought the farm. My rig has 119k miles on it. Now, since I bought it four years ago, I've had an annoying squealing from under the car I attributed to a faulty fuel pump (very similar sound) but eventually I found, through a lot of sleuthing and some money spent on diagnosing was the center carrier bearing. The rubber seal around it was ??? and the solution was to spray it with spray lube. Noise gone. Teflon spray lube was the longest-lasting. Both me and the dlr checked the bearing whenever they were under the car for oil changes, etc. Some play but nothing to be real concerned about. That included a trip under the car by myself in June when I serviced my transmission and a recent dlr oil change. No changes noted, I did spray it down as I was under there. Until a few days ago...

As I write this, it is Sunday, and it failed last Thursday. Last week, it started squealing again. Not real bad. So I got under the car and tried using a silicone spray. Didnt work. Next day, I tried a white lithium spray. Didnt work. Thinking, I would need to use the teflon again, I headed out after work to an appointment.

On the fwy I got a very slight vibration, similar to a wheel out of balance. Then a half mile later, IT happened......a very loud THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP from under the center console and passenger seat!!! "Oh, Crap, I know what THAT is..." So I slowed the car down, got off at my exit and when I got the car parked I got under there to take a look.

Yup. It was hoser. Foobar. But still attached.

So I went in and took care of my business, and called the dlr and let them know what happened. They were to get a quote on replacing it. When they called back I was on my way home, past the dlr. I took the "scenic route" to avoid frwy speeds, at most, 40 mph. Made it all the way to the dlr, about 13 miles from where I stopped.

The cost of R&R of the drive shaft was just under $1600. Ok, I parked the car there and got a rental and told them I would let them know.

I know the center carrier bearing (I call it a coupling for simplicity) can be replaced DIY but from what I've read here its quite involved, mainly getting the driveline off and back in. Getting to a bolt on one of the shaft flanges can be difficult. I could probably do it, I have the tools and space but I decided to have a shop do it. I didnt want to mess with it.

I called a well-regarded indie shop and they told me they would replace the driveline for about the same price as Mr. Dealer. On to the next one......

I called a well-regarded indie transmission shop and they told me they would replace just the coupling for $750 parts and labor. SOLD!!!!! Its about 4 hours labor. From what I've read here and what the other shop told me its a better design and lasts longer than original.

The car is at the dealer awaiting parts. When they are in I will have AAA tow it to the transmission shop.

More to follow...

--Karl
2004 V8 119k miles
"More Porsche than VW...."

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look Ma! No more noise!

I got the car back from the shop last night. All is now well. No noises no vibration no thumping. The shop told me their tech had to tussle with it getting the driveline out due to stuck fasteners on the rear flange and had a time getting it back in. This is why I didn't want to tackle it myself. Money well spent.

For reference, the part cost $300 and labor was $328. Cost of R&R at the dealer or even another shop of the entire driveline was about $1500 parts and labor.

The moral of this story is...if you get a high-pitched whining from under the car that varies with speed and you cant find it, it is most likely the seal around the bearing. Spraying it with a lube will quiet it down but you are mostly likely due for a new one.

--Karl
Somewhere North of the 45th Parallel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts