Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Anyone done this since Lauri?

I seriously need to do the same thing for my new to me T1. Getting the housing apart seems like the hardest part. The refelector on mine must be burnt, as even with new Sylvania D1S bulbs it is way too dim to be safe to drive at night (maybe half as bright as my Corrado with Euro housings and Osram rally bulbs). But then even with new valeo housings, the output is apparently crap. This sounds like a better (and less expensive) alternative.
My light out put is outstanding with the Valeo housing....

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
I remember the light output when new as excellent. However, the factory reflector bowls start to degrade from the heat of the bulb. So, a few years later, the replacement factory lights go back to crap.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I remember the light output when new as excellent. However, the factory reflector bowls start to degrade from the heat of the bulb. So, a few years later, the replacement factory lights go back to crap.
I could see that happening. I guess just buy new headlights every few years. #Touareglife haha

·
Registered
457 Posts
After doing this retrofit mod, while the light output was improved over the burned reflectors, the lenses were continually yellowing and clouding. Yes, I wet sanded and polished and sealed with ANTI-UV clear but they never were perfect and would fade over a summer.
I ended up purchasing entire new set of factory headlights for about 650 shipped.
Best decision ever.
Wish I had done that first instead of wasting the money on the other products and time.

·
Registered
2006 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI
10 Posts
After doing this retrofit mod, while the light output was improved over the burned reflectors, the lenses were continually yellowing and clouding. Yes, I wet sanded and polished and sealed with ANTI-UV clear but they never were perfect and would fade over a summer.
I ended up purchasing entire new set of factory headlights for about 650 shipped.
Best decision ever.
Wish I had done that first instead of wasting the money on the other products and time.
thanks for your insights, it is similar to what others have said also (unfortunately)
I'll look into the cost of new headlights

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,370 Posts
Interesting, so it's our all working well with no errors?

·
Registered
89 Posts
how did the upgrade go?
i desperately need to do something for my T1 2006 bi-xenons as it is not safe to drive at night
what would be my optimal choice? the least expensive and least complicated with good outcome hahaha
I sold the kit on ebay. The T1 housings are glued together, not held together with rubber like many other housings. The only way to open them up is to cut them open and glue them back together. The wiring was also toast, so I just gave in and bought new ones.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
Ask me my opinion about the Touareg Headlights!

^^That about covers it. Lolz

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.