Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T1 AFS bixenon projectror upgrade with retrofitlab MD1S projectors.
https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/car/audi-a4-s4-b6-bi-xenon-md1s-1.html

Started this project and already i need to warn that this project is a PAIN!
For first, the permaseal in housing is really hard to remove. I removed it with help of heat gun and still had to cut some of the housing to get the clear part out. After that it is pretty ok job to take things apart. But nothing seems to be just plug 'n play...

Here is a link to the pictures.
https://goo.gl/photos/NF3d2fWvF6S7DSDc7I
I started with the right hand light because it was the worst. As you can see from pics it had yellow light and the reason for it is clear. Projector reflector is badly burned.

You need to use adapter plates that come with projectors in order to mount them to afs cradle. You still need to do some cutting to new projector and the cradle to make them fit together. So you better have a dremel or similar at hand.

Project continues...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing to be aware when fitting the new projector to the cradle. Measure the length from mounting surface to the edge of the lens holder. It should be about 50mm. This way the shroud or what ever that collar is called around the lens moves nicely in the other collar around it. I had to raise the projector from the mount surface for about a 4mm.

You have to modify a lot the cradle and projector to make room for swivel action. Also right in the corner of the cradle there is a position sensor. Make sure the circuit board does not touch the projector when it turns.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very sharp light now, but had afs error. Now thinking about it i remember both turn motors look the same. I guess you can mix the wiring... :D

Anyway i add a picture of the light pattern and brightness this evening. Remember i swapped just the right side projector for now. Next one will be faster.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Quite a difference!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, thats the starting point in the pictures. Its getting dark just now here so it takes a little while to take a new pic.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
???

But then I re-read the thread and understand now how dim the right light really is!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, now there is new pics with both low and high beam. New projector is in the right side headlight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was planning to change the left one this weekend. That new one on the right is so bright that that alone is better than both old ones together. I was planning to put a led light bar inside the bumper but now i dont know if i even need one anymore.

Trying also to fix the left one that is not turning anymore. Hope its just the wiring but i'm afraid the afs module is broken.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Afs error: " right swivel sensor malfunction" is now fixed. Sensor had a bad solder in connector pins. Didnt like me pulling the connector out.
uploadfromtaptalk1454247068043.jpg

Anyways, the other headlight is now glued together and now on the second one i took better pics to show where to cut and grind if you want to do this the "easy" way. Im going to add those pics here after editing arrows to them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the cutting locations and measures needed. Headlight itself is pretty easy to put in pieces once you get the clear face out. Bezel around the lens needs to be glued to lens holder. You might want to cut out the teeth inside that were holding it to old projector.

uploadfromtaptalk1454267987814.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454267997073.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454268007698.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454268020184.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454268035617.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454268046668.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454268059370.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454268069896.jpg

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
...As you can see from pics it had yellow light and the reason for it is clear. Projector reflector is badly burned.
Thank you for all the pictures. You have moved the knowledge base forward with this post.

I have seen several threads about bad head lights recently. And I think you have stumbled across the problem. The reflectors are going bad.

If you have a really good picture of the condition of the old and new reflector you could post, I think it would be a benefit to all.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not the best picture, but this ia what the old one looks. Could't take a picture of the new one because it was not made to be opened. But this is how the reflector burns. It is possible to restore it but that costs allmost the same as new projector kit.
uploadfromtaptalk1454298511920.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone done this since Lauri?

I seriously need to do the same thing for my new to me T1. Getting the housing apart seems like the hardest part. The refelector on mine must be burnt, as even with new Sylvania D1S bulbs it is way too dim to be safe to drive at night (maybe half as bright as my Corrado with Euro housings and Osram rally bulbs). But then even with new valeo housings, the output is apparently crap. This sounds like a better (and less expensive) alternative.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I will be looking forward to some mod reports from hallkbrdz :)

PS: If you decide to go crazy and posts some pictures, I won't object. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts