Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a used touareg not running, apparently just needed a fuel pump. That turned out to be true, I replaced both pumps, internal hoses inside the tank, etc. That was kind of miserable.

Anyway. I was able to fire it up and found I had a pretty bad misfire. I did a compression check and found 0 compression in bores 5,6,7. I stuck my bore scope down there to look and I don't see any damange/melted pistons etc.

I'm looking to remove the drivers side head (left hand drive) and it looks like I should be able to pull it off, but someone mentioned that the motor needs to come out to do the job. Can someone confirm that? I'm looking to pull the head this weekend. I pulled heads out of B5 S4 2.7, 2.8, 1.8 etc. This will be my first 4.2.

I'll be sure to post pics on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to attempt to yank the head off in the car anyway. It looks doable. I'll post pics. If not I'll just light the thing on fire.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recall a youtube of a head pull on a 4.2, but I couldn't find it now, could have been for Audi A6. So might be engine pull time. I wonder if the timing belt broke and valves bent when they hit pistons. You scoped the pistons, so maybe the valve nicks were not that bad. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about piston nicks on an old truck.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
VW pulls the engine for anything past putting in new spark plugs. Lol.

We have had people take off the valve covers to get to the overhead camshaft. That should not be a problem.

This Touareg AXQ 40V V8 is the Audi 4.2 40v V8 engine. You will find a lot of info on the engine by looking that up. Also, remember that the engine bay of almost every Audi is even smaller than the engine bay of the Touareg. The Touareg could contain the big grunt grunt V10 diesel and even the zoom zoom W12 gasser.

PS: If I remember correctly, you did pull the W12 for the spark plugs! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Looks like enough room to me. The 2.7T has less space in all directions and that’s removable from the B5 chassis so this shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m still pained to have to do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removing the head out of the 4.2 Touareg was fairly easy and very doable in the engine bay. I would rate this about as easy as a 1.8T, easier than a 2.7T head removal. There's no need to take the front end off, or the radiator. I found bent valves in cylinder 5, 6, 7. This surpised me considering the timing was correct at the crank and the cams. I suspect the PO jumped timing and they attempted to fix it by setting it back in time, but the damage was already done. In addition it's only one side that has bent valves.

All you need to do this job is the following:

-10mm socket for valve covers and fuel rail
-Torx T30 for valve covers
-5mm (preferably long driver) for the intake manifold bolts (Don't take the T30 bolts out that hold the intake halves together.)
-5mm driver standard length for rear combi valve and coolant pipe
-13mm stubby wrench or short socket for the down pipe nuts.
-10mm(I think) triple square for the head bolts. I expected it to be a poly drive like other VW/Audi motors but I was wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good job on fixing rather than replacing. I recommend inspection/blowing out the oil galleys, there is a thread here (or on Audizine) stating that most of the chain tensioner issues(noise/failures) are from plugged oil galleys from the block to the head. Also there are two oil anti drain back valves that you can clean while you have the intake manifold off. Finally, check the chain tensioner carefully, and at least get the $30 set of plastic pads on eBay while you have it apart (the pads break from heat and age).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have it back up and running. I have mostly everything fixed and need to fix misc vaccum hoses. Another annoying issue is the cluster thinks I have the parking brake on when I don't. Anyone run into this? Where do I begin my search? That's going to be for a new thread though.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
I have it back up and running. I have mostly everything fixed and need to fix misc vaccum hoses. Another annoying issue is the cluster thinks I have the parking brake on when I don't. Anyone run into this? Where do I begin my search? That's going to be for a new thread though.
This is going to sound stupid, but pull the release and lift up on the pedal at the same time. I have done double release pulls on both of my Touaregs.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Yes to the above. Reach your foot around so that your toes are on the back of the parking brake pedal. Pull the parking brake release button and push the pedal up with your toes.

The little gas strut gets tired and the pedal almost goes back to the off position. A new gas strut fixes this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts