Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Phone carkit and trying to find the Switched Power supply wire preferably in the stereo loom.

As the Touareg's stereo can be turned on without key in the ignition, I wonder if the wire is there?

ps. My phone kit (like most) as 12V, 12V Switched, and ground.

· Registered
866 Posts
You can pick up switched power from the drivers side fuse panel. The bottom row of fuses there are switched, with the bottom contact of the fuse being the hot side.

If I understand your question correctly, you are seeking a power source that is switched with the radio power, not the ignition switch. I don't think that is exposed anywhere where you can tap into it.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Switched by the ignition key IN is fine. Or the radio, or any switched power that will cut out.

But, I am really hoping not to have to run the wire to the fuse panel and tap into it there. As I am already working behind the radio.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Running the wires from the fuse panel is really easy since you will have to locate the black box for the phone behind the dash above the passenger or driver footwell. Best way to route the wire from the fuse panels (located on either end of the dash when you open the doors) will be to temporarily remove the insulation around the fuse panel.

· Registered
866 Posts
Getting from the radio to the fuse panel is easy. Two torx screws on the panel under the drivers side dash, and the panel comes right off. With the fuse panel cover removed, wires can be routed under the dash, and to the radio. There's an obvious opening from the radio area to the under-dash area - shine a flashlight up from the floor and it becomes obvious.

Personnaly, I'd much rather run the wires to an easy fuse tap location than try to splice into an existing wire harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.