Club Touareg Forum banner

Switchback LED Fog Lamps

8K views 126 replies 14 participants last post by  New2Tregs 
#1 ·
I was thinking of trying out a pair of switchback LED fog lamp on my Treg. In case anyone isn't familiar they're fog lights that have the ability to be switched between white/yellow light output as needed for driving conditions.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried a pair, what brand did you go with, were they CanBus ready, how is the light output? Any other helpful info on them is welcome as well.

Reactions: Strattoa
#2 ·
I have them, I've had them for years. I started with the Touareg, then when I sold my T1 I put them in my A4. They're super super bright, and have the ability to strobe as well. Yellow cuts though the snow and fog like nothing. I use them every day and they've been amazing. They're not cheap but 100% worth it. Customer service sucks with them but the product is A1

#4 ·
I have them, I've had them for years. I started with the Touareg, then when I sold my T1 I put them in my A4. They're super super bright, and have the ability to strobe as well. Yellow cuts though the snow and fog like nothing. I use them every day and they've been amazing. They're not cheap but 100% worth it. Customer service sucks with them but the product is A1

So wait - I'm in for these as the stock halogen bulbs suck... How do they operate or switch modes, by turning on/off through the standard fog light switch to activate??? Says turn on/off fast to operate strobe mode. Not interested in that, just want white, option for yellow is cool.. Any insight in how the modes are switched??? Also, do these play well with T3 Canbus, or do I need a VAG com to switch some bits to get working properly?

#3 ·
I would love something like that as well. I had an Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10) back in the day that I put a set of white/yellow fogs on and I loved them.

I think the light output of my low beams suck and I would love a good bulb to use as driving lights. The fact that you can switch to yellow is even better for the snow and fog.

#17 ·
How was the light throw? It says you can rotate them to get the angle you want. I put whiter, brighter bulbs in mine but it still isn't enough for me.

#18 ·
So I just ordered the deAutoLED switchback fog lamps that Touaregman33 suggested in post #2. I went with these, despite seeing LASFIT has them available for less, because they offer a lifetime warranty.
I found discount code FOG15 and wound up paying $133.11, shipping was free.

#20 ·
I ordered them without the resistor based on the info given in post #12. I'm just hoping I don't get a fog lamp out warning on the MFD. There's something in the back of my mind that I recall having to buy CanBus ready LED fog light bulbs due to getting the message with standard LED ones.
Worse comes to worse I can put the ones I have now back in until I get resistors.

Reactions: Touaregman33
#25 ·
These look nice, the price is a little concerning though, I also wouldn't want them to burn out quickly and have to replace the whole housing.

#31 · (Edited)
I thought I'd chip in. Had on my 05 for a little over a year before I sold it few months ago, no issues. The light beam/pattern is amazing and its super bright - 8000 Lumens, really bright and I love the yellow, its just looks cool. Really illuminates the road
When I first turn on the fog light, its always white. To switch to yellow, I just flick high beam lever or "flash to pass" really quick and it changes to yellow and same thing to go back to white. No need to mess with the fog light switch every single time.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

#35 ·
Thanks for the tip.
I've got my fogs to stay on with high beams though, so I'll have to use the fog light switch.
No biggie as I'll only switch them to yellow in snow/fog.

Reactions: Touaregman33
#38 ·
Mine arrived today in SW Michigan. I had plans to change the front hub bearings in the wife's Santa Fe, and with darkness arriving early, I finished too late to put the new lights in. I'll get them in tomorrow at some point.

#39 ·
Mine won't be here 'till Friday the 25th which is odd because I'm in N.Y. also.
I'm just really curious if they trigger a CanBus tantrum.

#40 ·
Anyone have issues with the cornering lights on the T3? I've heard stories of people getting stuck with one white and one yellow. I've also heard complaints about the switchback bulbs not having great light patterns in either the white or yellow mode because they aren't centered in the bulb. Anyone experience that? I've been eyeballing the Allas for the cost but have held off due to that concern.

#42 ·
If your Treg doesn't have the "Use fog lamps for cornering" coded out then you could end up with one white and one yellow.
As far as the pattern I'm not sure. The white AUXITO ones I have installed right now allow you to rotate and the lock into position the way the LED chips face to get the light pattern you want. I see the LASFIT ones allow adjustment as well.

Reactions: Micheld7
#44 ·
So I got my LED bulbs from deAutoLED today. I put them in and tested them out.
I was worried about the bulb out warning coming on and sure enough it did. I put one bulb in first and the bulb didn't work. I flipped the plug as it can plug in 180°. Bulb came on but I still had the bulb out warning. I shut the vehicle off and restared it, no warning. Bulb worked as it should. I installed the other bulb and went through the same routine. Now they both work and no warning. CanBus is happy. Pics below.

White output mode.
Car Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Amber output mode.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

And oddly enough a normal output mode which I wish it didn't have.
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

#45 ·
I thought I read it was a 3-mode set up. I can do without the "halogen" look as well as that is what I replaced. Oh, well.

I got mine installed yesterday as we went to visit family for Thanksgiving. I didn't take any pictures, but man are those bulbs bright in the daytime! How was the light going forward when seated in the driver's seat? That's what I'm looking forward to seeing.

#48 ·
How was the light going forward when seated in the driver's seat? That's what I'm looking forward to seeing.
That's what I'm waiting to see on the drive home from work tonight.
My initial thought is I don't think they're as bright as the Auxito LED's I had in.

#49 ·
Clear ones. I also blurred the plate in the photos.