Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
I would love something like that as well. I had an Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10) back in the day that I put a set of white/yellow fogs on and I loved them.

I think the light output of my low beams suck and I would love a good bulb to use as driving lights. The fact that you can switch to yellow is even better for the snow and fog.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
How was the light throw? It says you can rotate them to get the angle you want. I put whiter, brighter bulbs in mine but it still isn't enough for me.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
So I just ordered the deAutoLED switchback fog lamps that Touaregman33 suggested in post #2. I went with these, despite seeing LASFIT has them available for less, because they offer a lifetime warranty.
I found discount code FOG15 and wound up paying $133.11, shipping was free.
LOL. I have both of those tabs open, too. Very good point on the warranty vs cost.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
Got a notice that my order shipped today. Looks like we'll have decent weather when they get here so I can get them installed.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
It's a very quick and easy install. I do them under 5 minutes each side. Just remove the few bottom screws in the wheel liner, can squeeze your hand it.
Yep, that's how I got the current new bulbs in. I'll have to see if anyone I know uses H11s as I will have two sets I don't need.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
Mine arrived today in SW Michigan. I had plans to change the front hub bearings in the wife's Santa Fe, and with darkness arriving early, I finished too late to put the new lights in. I'll get them in tomorrow at some point.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
I thought I read it was a 3-mode set up. I can do without the "halogen" look as well as that is what I replaced. Oh, well.

I got mine installed yesterday as we went to visit family for Thanksgiving. I didn't take any pictures, but man are those bulbs bright in the daytime! How was the light going forward when seated in the driver's seat? That's what I'm looking forward to seeing.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
That's what I'm waiting to see on the drive home from work tonight.
My initial thought is I don't think they're as bright as the Auxito LED's I had in.
Ah, so you had LEDs. I didn't. I'm sure I'll see a marked improvement. Or at least I hope to.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
@Strattoa , I didn't think to get any pics. They looked like most other LED bulbs - wiring with a box for the driver, a base with a fan, a copper colored bare stalk to hold the chips, and the chips themselves. The LEDs were half white, half yellow with one on either side of the stalk. The as-shipped orientation aligns the LEDs on the left and right side of the stalk when installed.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
I took a few pics tonight of the lights. Pretty good throw - a little better than I expected. You hear promises and hope for the world but usually end up with a postage-stamp sized plot. The white was very noticeable while driving. I think the amber will be great in the snow and fog - they are very bright and project nicely. Even the "halogen" color seemed better than my actual halogen bulbs.

White/default

Amber

"Halogen"

A couple of the light throw. The trees across the street are a bit brighter with the white fog light on.

Left on, right off. Not a lot of difference in the picture, but very noticeable to the eye from inside the vehicle.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
For anyone switching from incandescent they'll be tickled pink.
For me coming from 6500K LED's they're just OK.
I agree with your first statement. Coming from an incandescent, these are the cat's ass. 5500K white is pretty darn white. Even if they are less lumens than other LED brands, the increase and color difference over stock bulbs is incredible. I'll take a few less lumens to have the switchback function. I do like me some yeller fog lights. Great attention getters.

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
That would be a little disappointing considering the price. Can anyone take pictures of the deautoled bulbs out of the car? It is kinda fishy to me that they never show any pictures on their site.
I didn't take any pics (as I said above), but the assembly looks like these except the box is square. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2261799914364845.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Here are two pics of the stalk where the LEDs are mounted.

From the side

Head on - they are very thin

· Registered
2010 TDI
557 Posts
Personally I never considered changing the turn signal bulb to an LED. I figure it's a turn signal and as long as it blinks people will see it.
Agreed. My front turn signals light up stuff way in front of me. I don't feel the need to swap them.

Reverse lights, OTOH, are on my list to replace with LEDs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts