Club Touareg Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pros and cons of a WDH.
One thing that I didn't see here yet is the issue of ball height.
VW wants the top of the ball below the ball mount release pin.
They seriously haven't considered North American "off-roaders".

This is my trailer:

This is my equalizer hitch without the bars installed. I would have to drop the ball down over 10" to be in the permitted range. No cop is going to let me pull a trailer like that.

Btw, my trailer isn't even for off-road use, it is more of a boon-docker.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice looking setup there! Your trailer looks fairly aero dynamic to boot! Wish my 2015 mini lite looked more like that front end! I pull a 21 foot brick! Wind resistance is worse than weight for fuel mileage drop back! I used to pull my mini lite with an 94 cummins, the mileage dropped considerable after 60mph , so will still need to see how my 2013 Touareg pulls it, and how fuel efficient it is! My cummins wagged like a beaver without my Reese weight distribution double sway bar setup. It still has a bit even then when a semi passes me. Wish I new how to get m trailer better aero dynamic!

·
Registered
2016 TDI Lux, white with beige interior
212 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the Touareg forum and am using it primarily to take on adventures. 2016 TDI Lux and 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 23 FB. Have towed so far from Austin to Las Vegas, where it is in storage for a month or so. Have a weight distribution hitch, electric brakes, and rear view camera. All works really well. I had a bit of sway on I-40 in NM with a stiff headwind going around a curve on a bridge that had undulating surfaces. Going between 60 and 65 MPH, i merely accelerated [speed limit was 70 or 75] and that seems to have pulled it into line well. Fuel usage did go up at those speeds and elevations, and the DEF usage was really intense. With the recall notice I got this week, I hope part of the DEF usage inconsistencies goes away. I purposely chose the 23' unit to have two axles to reduce chances of sway. It's the smallest dual axle they make recently. In early December, the Zion NP visitor center parking lot was empty. I had my choice of spaces. :cool:
IMG_2063.jpeg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the Touareg forum and am using it primarily to take on adventures. 2016 TDI Lux and 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 23 FB. Have towed so far from Austin to Las Vegas, where it is in storage for a month or so. Have a weight distribution hitch, electric brakes, and rear view camera. All works really well. I had a bit of sway on I-40 in NM with a stiff headwind going around a curve on a bridge that had undulating surfaces. Going between 60 and 65 MPH, i merely accelerated [speed limit was 70 or 75] and that seems to have pulled it into line well. Fuel usage did go up at those speeds and elevations, and the DEF usage was really intense. With the recall notice I got this week, I hope part of the DEF usage inconsistencies goes away. I purposely chose the 23' unit to have two axles to reduce chances of sway. It's the smallest dual axle they make recently. In early December, the Zion NP visitor center parking lot was empty. I had my choice of spaces. :cool:
View attachment 234510
Nice! that's exactly the unit we are saving for. What's been your average mileage? We tow a 24 ft. Kodiak weighing about 5300lbs with our stuff in it. (2015 TDI) We averaged about 14 mpg over about 12k miles. Lots of head winds. DEF usage was crazy! Pulled like a champ acfross most of Canada, including crossing the Rockies 4 times.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice! that's exactly the unit we are saving for. What's been your average mileage? We tow a 24 ft. Kodiak weighing about 5300 lbs with our stuff in it. (2015 TDI) We averaged about 14 mpg over about 12k miles. Lots of head winds. DEF usage was crazy! Pulled like a champ across most of Canada, including crossing the Rockies 4 times.
Fuel usage has been all over the place, due mostly to varying speed and elevation. An average of 14 is probably what I would guess for most situations. I was hoping for better, but traveling fast up hill at 7000' does require some serious energy. And yeah, the DEF usage was a shocker. I kept thinking, "What the hell? I just filled that!" There has been no concern at all about the engine or tranny being able to tow the load, and the electric brakes along with the brakes on the Touareg have helped me feel confident in all situations. With the load distribution, I've had no serious sway or fishtailing. It's a very good combination. Best wishes on your travels. If you make it further west and north than BC and the Yukon, give a shout. :giggle:

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you can, I'd disconnect the trailer in Whitehorse and make a day trip to Dawson City. It's a really fun place. In late May, you're not going to run out of daylight! Also, I met a friend from Toronto in Skagway a couple of years ago. He'd sailed from Vancouver up and we rode the White Pass and Yukon route. Definitely worth a side trip from Whitehorse to there as well. I just drove my '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI from here in Anchorage. To Whitehorse is a long day. From Skagway, it's a very long day. . You can get the trailer to Skagway and back, but the gradients can be intense. I cycled up to White Pass and back on a sunny day. It was wonderful coming back down. And the beer was really great. I tent camped in town.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like fun! Sadly we will be working and usually don't have enough time to really explore. We've driven the Alaska highway about 20 times and never get tired of it, especially between Fort Nelson and Whitehorse. So much wildlife!

·
Registered
39 Posts
An expensive fix to a problem you don't have is right.... Honestly you won't feel the SS19, I had a starcraft 21CK which I towed with my 3.2 V6 and a couple of times with the V8..I didn't have air suspension on either and honestly I didn't use anything (just hooked up to the hitch and that's it)...it felt like a utility trailer back there.

1 friction unit should be fine (worked well on my Jayco, 28ish feet long, >6000lbs loaded up) should work fine on your starcraft which is approx 10' shorter and significantly lighter.

Don't let the fear mongers convince you of the need for overkill on everything...these are the same people towing tent trailers with F350 dually diesels.

In your touareg you have better brakes, better suspension, MUCH better stability control and electronics, as much weight as, and a better transmission than most pickup trucks out there...you wouldn't hesitate to tow the starstream with a pickup, so don't hesitate to haul it around with the Treg.

!00% correct. this handles like a dream and does it with ease!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Below is Andy's response. I would like to personally thank Andy for his timely detailed response.

Hi Graham

Go ahead and post this if you like.

We had a set up several Touareg's and Cayennes which share the platform. It is a vehicle I really like for towing, very stable and comfortable one of the few SUV's I would personally own. Now that they have the 3.0 Litre diesel we are doing a lot more of them. Most of our customers are towing 26 - 34' low profile light trailers with torsion axles or Airstreams in the same size range. Be careful of the trailer you choose measure the height of the floor off the ground it should be around 20", it should have torsion axles radial tires and be as aero as possible. There are some really bad towing trailers available. Length and weight are not the primary considerations.

With larger trailers weight distribution should absolutely be used! Air suspension may keep the vehicle level but it does not transfer weight to the front wheels which is necessary to keep from overloading the rear axle but more importantly for handling stability and safety. In Europe there are not equalizing hitches or electric brakes. They were both banned there 40 years ago to keep out American trailers. This means that the German VW engineers do not understand equalizing hitch systems so it is much easier for them to say don't use one than to try and understand them and all the various factors involved in them. In their defence when I see the lack of understanding and professionalism in the hitch industry I can't blame them for not wanting to be involved.

We connected an Airstream to a Touareg with 1000 lbs of hitch weight using a 1000 Pound Eaz-Lift hitch system and we were not able to flex the receiver at all the receiver is very solid but my concern is the steel may be brittle and prone to fatiguing over time. 40 years ago the conventional wisdom was you made a hitch using mild steel and enough of it to make it solid that the higher strength steels would be more likely to fatigue over time. This is something we see regularly on many other hitches.

What we do then is we strengthen the VW hitch by adding a centre bar to it that reaches up under the vehicle and fastens between the rear wheels. The way you get strength from a hitch is with distance to spread the leverage over. This may not be necessary but I don't want one of my customers to be the one to find out that it is. I don't have a picture of a Touareg reinforcement but there is a picture of one similar attached.

We use friction sway controls all the time just you need one of the better quality ones and you need to keep it dry so it does not rust then they stay quiet. It is fine to tow in the rain just dry off the bar before you store it. With thousands installed I have never seen a frame damaged. the little ball would break off first. We install two on trailers over 25' actual overall length. The Pro Pride hitch works very well and does all that the advertizing says it does. It is not absolutely necessary on the Touareg as it is a very stable tow vehicle if it is connected to a stable trailer but no matter what the combination is it still the safest set up. I would not recommend the Equal-i-zer brand hitch on one because the torsion bars have too little travel when you go through dips etc. We use Eaz-Lift 1000 lb. hitches on most of the ones we set up because I like their torsion bars, they wear less and they allow the closest ball to bumper measurements.

If you cannot find someone local to strengthen the hitch receiver we can make it up here and ship it to you for installation there.

I hope this helps you out.
Do you still have the picture he sent you? I'd love to see it. "I don't have a picture of a Touareg reinforcement but there is a picture of one similar attached."

·
Registered
3 Posts
My trailer is a full size VW Bus Shell with a custom trailer that is mated to it; the trailer fabricator stated he suggested that I get a Weight Distribution hitch because we are replacing the rear wheels with the trailer axle, and he said the tongue weight would be too much, also, for the record, where the rear axle will be to the receiver will be about 17 feet;

Total trailer weight will be about 3200 lbs, I still suspect the tongue weight won't be as much as he thinks it will be, as an empty VW Bus shell and my build out will lend weight to rear/center aka water/cabinetry/misc all in rear/center

All things considered, I know there is a multiplication factor with weight distribution hitches...but considering my total trailer will be half of the total trailer weight possible, if my tongue weight is also about 10/15 percent of that....even though manual and this thread basically says no weight distribution; the trailer manufacture says he suggests weight distribution....

May weld a support bar to a place that makes since under the Touareg that Andy suggests on page 2 (although he leaves it ambigous I will update if I do so).....

81 - 91 of 91 Posts