Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just clocked 5'000km on my new Toyo Open Countries A/T+ tires and want to swap them from front to back and vice versa to decrease wear.

Can I just bring front left to back left and front right to back right, or do I also need to swap them left/right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Keep the tyres running in the same direction that they started in.

So, front left to back left and front right to back right.

It's a good time to pull any stones out of the the treads and inspect for any usual wear patterns.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Tourers normally wear their tyres evenly so there should be no need to move tyres at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@flash365: thanks, will do!
@noobytoogy: mine doesn't, front wears significantly faster: more uneven weight distribution on a V10 than a V6? I do notice that my front tires always seem to be more "squished" due to the weight on the front of the car, even if they have the correct PSI.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sensible to rotate then since, as you probably know, you need to keep the tread depths matched to within 3mm between the front and rear axles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
255/55R18 - 2.7 bar front, 3.1 bar back, I think. I followed VW's recommendation for heavy load found inside the driver's door.

As for the question regarding viscous coupled center diff... No idea, unfortunately!

·
Registered
670 Posts
255/55R18 - 2.7 bar front, 3.1 bar back, I think. I followed VW's recommendation for heavy load found inside the driver's door.
If you are getting even tread wear across your tread at 3.1 bar it might be a good idea to put that in the front too. I personally like the tyres hard and make the suspension do more work, as long as tread wears evenly.
If the middle or the edges of the tread is wearing faster then the tyre isn't gripping properly.

Tyres sun a bit cooler with higher pressures too - within reason of course.
That's one reason why I stayed away from Goodyears for so long, they were always a soft tyre and more pressure didn't help. They seem to be better now.

I take more notice of what the tyre manufacturer recommends for tyre pressure rather than what the vehicle manufacturer says.

As for the question regarding viscous coupled center diff... No idea, unfortunately!
No, you don't have a VC centre diff.

I was having a go at noobytoogy and his attention to equal tread depth.

Mismatched tyre height is a problem for VC diffs; the uneven rotation speed between the input and output causes a massive heat buildup in the silicone fluid and it hardens the fluid.
When that happens the unit stops acting as a differential gear and locks up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, I'll start experimenting with different pressures on the front tires. Thanks for taking the time to get back to me guys!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't touched the Touareg in three weeks: my right indicator has gone haywire and the car started losing oil like there was no tomorrow. So I need to sort out those issues too, haven't had the time to do so so far due to work.

But yes: so I swapped the wheels, 4000km ago, in the middle of my road trip and got a slight shake in the steering wheel afterwards - I guess I need to have them rebalanced? However, in another 1000km I'll swap them back again, so I'll hold off rebalancing them till then.

On another note, I was bloody lucky, I used the spare tire jack found in the trunk and a bottle jack to the swap, one side at a time. Someone thought it would be funny to prank me, long story short, the spare tire jack which I had on the back of the car toppled over, luckily I had a wheel on the back with one bolt in. Had that not been the case I would've had some serious damage on my back rotor!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PS: cranked up the front wheels from 2.7 bar to 3.0, but I had the impression that made the shaking of the steering wheel worse, so I reverted back to the 2.7.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts