Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Fred K
I will try your / Collyn's theory out on Sat we have a 440K run up to Kurramine Beach.
Just lowerd the pressure of the front tyres on the van to 37 psi with rears at 40 psi and will try small adjustments up or down after that.
Will then try altering the Touareg pressures on the run after that.
It is a very different experience towing a caravan after years with the 5th wheeler.
I think you are going the wrong way with the van's tyre pressure, but as long as you want to start somewhere start there.

Seeing you spent such a long time on the road you must know that you must also track the increse in tyre pressure due to heat generated in the tyre which is more important than the actual pressure in the tyres, of course speed comes into the equasion as well, the quicker you go the higher the temp will go.

In my book the best way to ascertain the pressure by load carried is to try to achieve increse to pressure as per the "4psi rule" wherein the pressure differential between cold and hot tyre temperature goes up by 4-5psi, irrespective of actual pressure in the tyres, this is very easy when you have a TPMS on the trailer giving you real time information.

TonyB

Reactions: Gibbo88

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I take it you're not proposing to do any extended towing with the 295/35's?
Just asking seeing you posted this in a towing related tread.....

TonyB

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
F'nuff, your call obviously.

I was not referring to type of tyre fitted but rather to the profile size fitted. Whilst 104mm of sidewall height may be ideal for spirited performance driving and roadholding applications I do not believe 104mm is a good sidewall height when towing a heavy caravan when the tyres are expected to deal with increase pressures and temperatures due to speed and the extra load carried, even on the best and smoothest highway we have in our country.
Whilst I have no doubt you have had no trouble so far I did say "extended" towing and to my way of thinking there are many far better tyre sizes/profiles for towing applications, that is possibly why I have yet to see a low profile tyre fitted to a caravan by the manufacturer.

TonyB

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hi Pete, nice big rig you got there!

I firmly believe low profile tyres are not a good option if you plan to do extended towing primarily due to the lack of sidewall height and the sidewall construction (read less sidewall ply/strength) of these so called "performance" tyres.

I have had low profile tyres fitted to some of my vehicles over the years and I have damaged tyres and rims just driving on sealed roads with these tyres but as yet I have not damaged any "normal" 60+ profile, I believe that is due to the fact that larger profile tyres have the ability to absorb more punishment without damage due to the higher amount of sidewall rubber/strength available to absord impacts and shocks.

Tyre manufacturers design tyres for particular applications and I would really like to see anyone argue that a 35 XY or Z rated low profile tyre is as good in an extended towing application as a 55/60/65+ profile tyre.

I'm not and have not been involved in the tyre business so my personal opinions are just that, gained over some years of being interested in the subject so that I can make the best tyre purchase choice for my specific needs, that is why in
the past ten years, I have used two sets of tyre and rim combinations for my street and offroad/towing applications.

It's no skin off my nose what tyre size/construction/profile anyone on this forum choose to tow or offroad with but please do not put the argument forward that "I have done "xx" amount of distance towing with my (low profile) tyres with no issue" as a justification that I am running a suitable tyre for "my" towing application............... in my view there are much better choices out there for this application, but don't take my word for, talk to people in the industry and ask for their recommendations on what tyre you should consider to put on your vehicle in your towing application.

Ending my rant on this subject, good luck to those that choose to run low profiles, hope you avoid any potholes in your path....

TonyB

Reactions: Gibbo88

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Looking to get some aftermarket tpms for the car to better understand whats happening in real time.
I ended up buying the
Masten TP-19 TPMS
with 8 tyre senders and range extender transmitter some 18 months ago, cheap overall however have gone up in price (paid $355) able to monitor all vehicle and trailer tyres, the only negative I found so far the tyre pressure shown on my display is that it is under by 2-3 psi but not an issue for me as I monitor changes in pressure/temperature.

TonyB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts