Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can you share what tyres you have on the standard 21" wheels. I didn't know you could go up to the 285 from 275
I'm on my 3rd set of tyres and have switched from Pirelli to Yokohama and gone up to 295/35/21. After about 5,000k's on the Yokohama's I would never go back to the Pirelli's. Fitment is no problem and the contact patch is noticeably bigger and the tyre actually looks a 'lot' wider then the Pirelli 275. Ride is noticeably firmer which is to expected with the lower profile but I very happy with them. The Yokohama's are still a quality tyre made in Japan and a lot cheaper then the euro's. I got onto these via a neighbour who has them fitted on his ML63 AMG. The tyres are Advan Sport V105

·
Registered
119 Posts
I take it you're not proposing to do any extended towing with the 295/35's?
Just asking seeing you posted this in a towing related tread.....

TonyB
You would be wrong Tony, I tow a 3.2t van regularly and have absolutely no problem with tyres, I don’t drive off road and have no interest in doing so in the Touareg so the highway only tyres I use suit my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't see any problem with towing on 'so called' low profile tyres, provided the tyres are rated for the weight then it has no further impact over traveling the same roads without the van in tow. As long as we all understand that what is being argued here are opinions not facts then everybody has a right to theirs. In my opinion I find the lower profile performance orientated, highway terrain tyres a lot safer, they are more sure footed on the road and offer far better grip and steering response due in part to the less side wall flex and that is why I choose to fit them. Towing only adds 280k's maximum to the cars weight over the rear wheels so the extra weight is a non issue for me. I run the rears at 48psi and fronts at 40 psi. The trade off is ride comfort and yes they are more prone to damage then tyres with more side wall and that is a risk, but its not bigger risk then traveling the same roads with a boot full of luggage and a couple of people in the back seat.

BTW, the Touareg with air suspension will only lower to the 'normal' ride height at 120kph if the suspension is in comfort mode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts