Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finally on the road heading north after finalising the sale of our apartment and the plans for our new house.
We have a 2017 V8 R Line towing a 20.6 Zone RV Venture at around 3100 Kg loaded, tyres are 255/55R19 Pirelli Scorion AT Plus.
I have been trying out the suspension settings while towing our caravan and I'm curious to know what everyone uses.
Initially I had set it to Sport but the last couple of runs I have used Normal and it feels like the Touareg rides slightly better with this setting.
Also experimenting with various tyre pressures currently running 37 psi front and 43 psi rear.
Tyre pressure monitors show a 6 psi increase for the rears which is about right and 4 psi increase for the fronts.

Interested to hear what settings / pressures others are using as it may save me a lot of trial and error.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a 3380kg ATM van and generally within 100 kg so around 3200 to3300 with ball weight around 260-270kg on our 180kw 2015.
I use 34 front and 46 rear on the Touareg AND 45 on front axle and 50 on rear axle of van.
It was noticeable the difference with different axle pressure on the van. Theoretically the van pressures were calculated using the weight and pressure of actual versus max of tyre
This is a result of a guy called Collyn Rivers on another forum suggesting working out theoretical and dropping front axle by a few psi and increasing rear by same amount. This is for both van and towing vehicle. Theory correct ??? Placebo effect ??? Who knows but it does seem to work for me.
Also tow in Normal mode and manually keep it out of 8th gear and mainly 6 or 7 gear and fuel consumption similar or very ( very) slightly better as it is in a better torque curve , but transmission temp is lower.
Thanks everyone.
I remember reading about decreasing the pressure in the front tyres of the car but not the caravan.
Have just searched and read with interest a few posts on this including Collyn's recommendations.
I will try higher pressure in the rears and lower in the front of the caravan on our next leg from Bowen to Kurramine Beach
The Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus are rated at 1090Kg at max of 50Psi (most caravan tyres have 60 or 80Psi max ratings)
Caravan placard recommends 40Psi but I suspect this is for their standard fitment tyres (I specified the Pirelli's at extra cost) I have been running them at 40Psi
Using the tyre pressure calculators available online I should run 33Psi in the caravan tyres which sounds too low to me, maybe I should try reducing the front caravan tyres down to 33 with 38 in the rears and see what effect it has.
Will try reducing the pressure of the front tyres of the Touareg by a few psi as well.
I run 37Psi front and rear when not towing.
Sorry can't get my old brain around Kpa pressures so keep referring to Psi

Like everyone has suggested I run in Drive and use the paddle shift to drop back a gear when approaching a hill rather than waiting for it to kick back automatically.

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have the Safety Dave TPMS which I used on the 5th wheeler for 5 years full time travelling.
It saved a couple of tyres on the van and one on the Silverado when the low pressure alarm went of while towing. Allows you to pull over and change the wheel before it gets to the point where the tyre gets damaged.
Well and truly worth the purchase price.

Fred K
I will try your / Collyn's theory out on Sat we have a 440K run up to Kurramine Beach.
Just lowerd the pressure of the front tyres on the van to 37 psi with rears at 40 psi and will try small adjustments up or down after that.
Will then try altering the Touareg pressures on the run after that.
It is a very different experience towing a caravan after years with the 5th wheeler.

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tony
Yes I'm aware of the 4 psi rule some even suggest 5 to 6 psi for heavy loads like a caravan.
At 40psi the van tyres have only increased by 2 to 3 psi so I am hoping that decreasing the fronts slightly will be the right direction.
The Pirelli's have a max pressure of 50 psi which is lower than most similar weight rated tyres which have 60 or 80 max.
Watching the temp in real time is interesting.
When travelling in the heat of the NT and top of WA I have seen up to 10 deg higher on one side of the van and car due to the sunshine on that side.

Grant / Fred
I had the same issue with splitting of the tubeless valve at the rim it was the cause of the low pressure alarm on one of the rear tyres on the Silverado.
Changed the tubless valves on the Silverado and 5th wheeler to the really short ones they use on quad bikes and never had the problem again.
Currently have pieces of the foam hot water pipe lagging over the valves on the caravan.
Was suggested by another caravaner some years ago.
I will eventually change the van valve stems over to the short ones or solid steel valve stems.
R Line has the standard internal sensors with alloy valve stems so no problem there.

Kym

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Have done two runs now with the revised tyre pressures of 36psi front, 44 rear on the Touareg and 37 front, 40 rear on the caravan. 440Km from Bowen to Kurramine Beach and 150Km from Kurramine Beach to Cairns.
Like Fred said it may be placebo but it does feel like it has made a positive difference.
Strong gusts of side wind still have an effect but passing a truck in either direction there is no movement in the van.
With the van previously set at 40 front and rear I occasionally felt a slight wag of the tail when initially backing off from 100Km/H or more, this has gone with the new pressures.
Next run I will drop the Touareg fronts down to 35 and the van fronts to 36 as both of these only rose 3psi on the runs while the rears on both rose 4 psi.
It does take a quite a long run to get the 4psi rise in the rears of the van so they may still be slightly too high.

I'm with you Tony not keen on low profile tyres for towing hence I replaced the original 21s with 19s to get the extra side wall. The rear tyres on a tow vehicle heat up much quicker than fronts or the van tyres as they are working the hardest.
Preferable to have as much side wall as possible to take some of the shock on the wonderful roads we have !

I seem to remember reading that the Touareg lowers itself above a certain speed is this correct ?
The R Line ride height is the same for both Sport and Normal but raises when set to Comfort.

Kym

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think the Touareg lowers itself at 120kph
Van is sitting level so was interested if the Touareg lowered itself as it would upset the balance.
Don't plan on hitting 120 with the van on the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts