Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2013 V8 R-Line
351 Posts
Just to chime in with my setup while towing.
I have a Jayco road caravan with 14"tyres (dual axle) and tow with the pressures in them at around 48psi. I have a 2013 V8tdi R-Line and I have replaced the 21's with 20"all Nitto Terra Grappler terrain tyres. My van weighs around 2.6T I reckon on average and the tow ball weight is around the 230kg mark from memory. I run 40psi in the fronts and 43psi in the rear when towing and my set up is spot on. The van travels beautifully. I have the suspension setting in normal mode as I was advised of this after asking this question a few years ago now and I have not had once ounce of an issue in the 15,000 kilometres or so of van towing that I have completed in the last 5 years. Alot of this comes down to how well you have your van packed so that the weight that the van forces down on your towball is as close to 10% of the van weight. Well thats what they like it to be so they say. Too light in the front and you get the tail wagging the dog scenario. Everyone's setup will be slightly different. With regards to the pressures increasing due to heat build up. Last time I checked all the van tyre pressures via a gauge and the car tyres pressures via the dash, they were all within the 4psi increase which is all good as far as I am concerned. When I was travelling out western Queensland, I did bump the rear tyre pressures up a couple of psi to 45 as I had a little more weight in it as I was travelling for about 10 weeks and the most I saw the rears get up to was 50psi.
Out of interest, my dad tows a 3.2T Nova Caravan with his 2019 Audi SQ7 with the optional 22" rims with 295/35 hankook tyres on and hasn't had any issues whatsoever. Not sure on the tyre pressures he was running but he is in the throws of selling his van so there won't be any more adventures for him anyhow.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts