Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I take it you're not proposing to do any extended towing with the 295/35's?
Just asking seeing you posted this in a towing related tread.....

TonyB
Hi Tony, I am curious why you say about not proposing to do any extended towing with 295/35's. I have an R50 which has the 295/35 21" wheels from the factory and just got back from an uneventful (for the R50 at least) 2200km trip to North West Aus which we did same time last year as well. Whilst they're low profile, what is the reason you indicate potentially not suitable for extended towing? There have been no problems and nor do I expect problems with the 295/35's. I keep within the load rating of the tyre and car.

Regards

Pete.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi Tony, thanks for that and yes we all have the freedom of tyres we choose and I've no challenge with your rationale. Yes potholes are more hazardous to lower profile tyres whatever the loading (even if you're not towing) so no argument on that score.

Regards

Pete.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't see any problem with towing on 'so called' low profile tyres, provided the tyres are rated for the weight then it has no further impact over traveling the same roads without the van in tow. As long as we all understand that what is being argued here are opinions not facts then everybody has a right to theirs. In my opinion I find the lower profile performance orientated, highway terrain tyres a lot safer, they are more sure footed on the road and offer far better grip and steering response due in part to the less side wall flex and that is why I choose to fit them. Towing only adds 280k's maximum to the cars weight over the rear wheels so the extra weight is a non issue for me. I run the rears at 48psi and fronts at 40 psi. The trade off is ride comfort and yes they are more prone to damage then tyres with more side wall and that is a risk, but its not bigger risk then traveling the same roads with a boot full of luggage and a couple of people in the back seat.

BTW, the Touareg with air suspension will only lower to the 'normal' ride height at 120kph if the suspension is in comfort mode.
Thanks Paulie, I couldn't have put it better myself!

Regards Pete.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts