Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finally on the road heading north after finalising the sale of our apartment and the plans for our new house.
We have a 2017 V8 R Line towing a 20.6 Zone RV Venture at around 3100 Kg loaded, tyres are 255/55R19 Pirelli Scorion AT Plus.
I have been trying out the suspension settings while towing our caravan and I'm curious to know what everyone uses.
Initially I had set it to Sport but the last couple of runs I have used Normal and it feels like the Touareg rides slightly better with this setting.
Also experimenting with various tyre pressures currently running 37 psi front and 43 psi rear.
Tyre pressure monitors show a 6 psi increase for the rears which is about right and 4 psi increase for the fronts.

Interested to hear what settings / pressures others are using as it may save me a lot of trial and error.

P1110076.JPG

·
Registered
2017 (MY2018) V6 TDI - Deep Black Pearlescent
350 Posts
Currently I am using max pressures as per the tyre placard on the Touareg and sport mode.
I have tried “comfort” but we had a fair amount of porpoising.

towing ~3.0t, 280kg
Touareg using Goodyear F1 275/45 20”

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,107 Posts
In the UK, I tow a 1500kg caravan with 100kg noseweight (Tongue Weight) - Suspension is normally in Comfort when solo but I set it to Sport for towing - this seems to give a more stable platform but at the expense of slight ride deterioration on poorer roads - in theory, the lowering in Sport mode gives better fuel consumption.

I tend to load all the supplies into the Touareg and run the tyres (255/55R19) at full load pressures (2.5 / 3.0 bar) which gives a comfortable ride when solo but gets harsher as the supplies are used up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We have a 3380kg ATM van and generally within 100 kg so around 3200 to3300 with ball weight around 260-270kg on our 180kw 2015.
I use 34 front and 46 rear on the Touareg AND 45 on front axle and 50 on rear axle of van.
It was noticeable the difference with different axle pressure on the van. Theoretically the van pressures were calculated using the weight and pressure of actual versus max of tyre
This is a result of a guy called Collyn Rivers on another forum suggesting working out theoretical and dropping front axle by a few psi and increasing rear by same amount. This is for both van and towing vehicle. Theory correct ??? Placebo effect ??? Who knows but it does seem to work for me.
Also tow in Normal mode and manually keep it out of 8th gear and mainly 6 or 7 gear and fuel consumption similar or very ( very) slightly better as it is in a better torque curve , but transmission temp is lower.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,105 Posts
I always tow in comfort mode in my 2015. The tow ball height is perfect for my Airstream and car trailers, no porpoising, and very comfortable ride. Normally I drive unhitched in Sport mode, but find it a tad harsh when towing, and the ball height is too low.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same car as you but our van is ATM 2700kg and a travel ready ball weight of 220kg. I run the van tyres at 350kpa as per placard on van. Have experimented with car pressures and found that a cold pressure of 250kpa front and 280kpa at rear work well. Once the the tyres are hot they run approx 270kpa front and 300kpa rear. I leave suspension in normal (best for towing ride height) and leave transmission in automatic but also try to keep out of 8th gear by using paddle shifters.
Im running standard 21 inch rims with 285/40/21 tyres.

Reactions: Snerlo

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a 3380kg ATM van and generally within 100 kg so around 3200 to3300 with ball weight around 260-270kg on our 180kw 2015.
I use 34 front and 46 rear on the Touareg AND 45 on front axle and 50 on rear axle of van.
It was noticeable the difference with different axle pressure on the van. Theoretically the van pressures were calculated using the weight and pressure of actual versus max of tyre
This is a result of a guy called Collyn Rivers on another forum suggesting working out theoretical and dropping front axle by a few psi and increasing rear by same amount. This is for both van and towing vehicle. Theory correct ??? Placebo effect ??? Who knows but it does seem to work for me.
Also tow in Normal mode and manually keep it out of 8th gear and mainly 6 or 7 gear and fuel consumption similar or very ( very) slightly better as it is in a better torque curve , but transmission temp is lower.
Thanks everyone.
I remember reading about decreasing the pressure in the front tyres of the car but not the caravan.
Have just searched and read with interest a few posts on this including Collyn's recommendations.
I will try higher pressure in the rears and lower in the front of the caravan on our next leg from Bowen to Kurramine Beach
The Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus are rated at 1090Kg at max of 50Psi (most caravan tyres have 60 or 80Psi max ratings)
Caravan placard recommends 40Psi but I suspect this is for their standard fitment tyres (I specified the Pirelli's at extra cost) I have been running them at 40Psi
Using the tyre pressure calculators available online I should run 33Psi in the caravan tyres which sounds too low to me, maybe I should try reducing the front caravan tyres down to 33 with 38 in the rears and see what effect it has.
Will try reducing the pressure of the front tyres of the Touareg by a few psi as well.
I run 37Psi front and rear when not towing.
Sorry can't get my old brain around Kpa pressures so keep referring to Psi

Like everyone has suggested I run in Drive and use the paddle shift to drop back a gear when approaching a hill rather than waiting for it to kick back automatically.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I wouldn't lower the tyre pressures so much in one go.

I'd try a gradual 2 psi reduction but I'd also check the tyre temperature after, say, the first 20 miles and again after, say, 50.

A hand-on check is okay-ish but a friend who is a professional and tows prototype cars all over Europe uses a hand-held infra-red thermometer to monitor and record tyre and brake hub temperatures at rest breaks for his £10,000,000 insurance cover!

I bought the same thermoneter for my limited towing.

It only takes a minute or two to walk around the rig and it's been thirty quid well spent for peace of mind.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you are looking to monitor tyre pressures there are some good TPMS systems available for trailers that give Pressure and Temperature readings.
In Australia "Safety Dave" make a good system for trailer TMPS but it is a bit expensive.
I purchased an inexpensive TPMS from Amazon which seems pretty good using Bluetooth to my mobile phone. While towing you can see the temperature and pressure increase/decrease live

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gatkins
I agree with TMPS and use the Safety Dave one which switches from 4 tyre when not towing to 8 tyre when towing
Yesterday did 400 KM plus and increase in all tyres was around 4 or 5 psi so happy with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gatkins

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have the Safety Dave TPMS which I used on the 5th wheeler for 5 years full time travelling.
It saved a couple of tyres on the van and one on the Silverado when the low pressure alarm went of while towing. Allows you to pull over and change the wheel before it gets to the point where the tyre gets damaged.
Well and truly worth the purchase price.

Fred K
I will try your / Collyn's theory out on Sat we have a 440K run up to Kurramine Beach.
Just lowerd the pressure of the front tyres on the van to 37 psi with rears at 40 psi and will try small adjustments up or down after that.
Will then try altering the Touareg pressures on the run after that.
It is a very different experience towing a caravan after years with the 5th wheeler.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Fred K
I will try your / Collyn's theory out on Sat we have a 440K run up to Kurramine Beach.
Just lowerd the pressure of the front tyres on the van to 37 psi with rears at 40 psi and will try small adjustments up or down after that.
Will then try altering the Touareg pressures on the run after that.
It is a very different experience towing a caravan after years with the 5th wheeler.
I think you are going the wrong way with the van's tyre pressure, but as long as you want to start somewhere start there.

Seeing you spent such a long time on the road you must know that you must also track the increse in tyre pressure due to heat generated in the tyre which is more important than the actual pressure in the tyres, of course speed comes into the equasion as well, the quicker you go the higher the temp will go.

In my book the best way to ascertain the pressure by load carried is to try to achieve increse to pressure as per the "4psi rule" wherein the pressure differential between cold and hot tyre temperature goes up by 4-5psi, irrespective of actual pressure in the tyres, this is very easy when you have a TPMS on the trailer giving you real time information.

TonyB

·
Registered
350 Posts
An interesting point to note when using Valve Stem mounted TMPS sensors... these cause flexing of the valve stem.
I was removing my TPMS sensors from the caravan wheels (to change the batteries) when I noticed that the rubber valve stems were cracking when flexed.
I have since had the valve stems all replaced lest one of these decide to fail while travelling.

·
Registered
139 Posts
An interesting point to note when using Valve Stem mounted TMPS sensors... these cause flexing of the valve stem.
I was removing my TPMS sensors from the caravan wheels (to change the batteries) when I noticed that the rubber valve stems were cracking when flexed.
I have since had the valve stems all replaced lest one of these decide to fail while travelling.
Gatkins
I also noticed this and cut a length of garden hose about 20 -25mm long and put this on prior to the sensor and have had no problem with signs of flex wear

Reactions: gatkins

·
Registered
2017 R Line V8
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tony
Yes I'm aware of the 4 psi rule some even suggest 5 to 6 psi for heavy loads like a caravan.
At 40psi the van tyres have only increased by 2 to 3 psi so I am hoping that decreasing the fronts slightly will be the right direction.
The Pirelli's have a max pressure of 50 psi which is lower than most similar weight rated tyres which have 60 or 80 max.
Watching the temp in real time is interesting.
When travelling in the heat of the NT and top of WA I have seen up to 10 deg higher on one side of the van and car due to the sunshine on that side.

Grant / Fred
I had the same issue with splitting of the tubeless valve at the rim it was the cause of the low pressure alarm on one of the rear tyres on the Silverado.
Changed the tubless valves on the Silverado and 5th wheeler to the really short ones they use on quad bikes and never had the problem again.
Currently have pieces of the foam hot water pipe lagging over the valves on the caravan.
Was suggested by another caravaner some years ago.
I will eventually change the van valve stems over to the short ones or solid steel valve stems.
R Line has the standard internal sensors with alloy valve stems so no problem there.

Kym

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same car as you but our van is ATM 2700kg and a travel ready ball weight of 220kg. I run the van tyres at 350kpa as per placard on van. Have experimented with car pressures and found that a cold pressure of 250kpa front and 280kpa at rear work well. Once the the tyres are hot they run approx 270kpa front and 300kpa rear. I leave suspension in normal (best for towing ride height) and leave transmission in automatic but also try to keep out of 8th gear by using paddle shifters.
Im running standard 21 inch rims with 285/40/21 tyres.
Can you share what tyres you have on the standard 21" wheels. I didn't know you could go up to the 285 from 275

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you share what tyres you have on the standard 21" wheels. I didn't know you could go up to the 285 from 275
I'm on my 3rd set of tyres and have switched from Pirelli to Yokohama and gone up to 295/35/21. After about 5,000k's on the Yokohama's I would never go back to the Pirelli's. Fitment is no problem and the contact patch is noticeably bigger and the tyre actually looks a 'lot' wider then the Pirelli 275. Ride is noticeably firmer which is to expected with the lower profile but I very happy with them. The Yokohama's are still a quality tyre made in Japan and a lot cheaper then the euro's. I got onto these via a neighbour who has them fitted on his ML63 AMG. The tyres are Advan Sport V105

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I take it you're not proposing to do any extended towing with the 295/35's?
Just asking seeing you posted this in a towing related tread.....

TonyB

·
Registered
69 Posts
We tow a 3.3T van with a 2016 V6, using the following pressures on bitumen:
- car front 37-40, rear 42-45
- van front 50-52, rear 53-55
It’s inexact because it varies with temperature, different tyre gauges, etc., and they only change about 4psi when warm.
Always drop to around 28s and 30s on unsealed roads.
We’ve tried all damper settings and haven’t found much difference - probably use Sport most but that never feels very stiff anyway.

We highly recommend a TPMS. We bought an Axis TPMS via eBay and did about 40,000km in the outback with a Pajero and off-road camper and 10!000km since. Had 5 flats and saved a few tyres, but the peace of mind from constant automatic monitoring is priceless. My wife thought it was probably another boy’s toy but now she recommends it to everyone. It takes up to 22 sensors because it’s designed for semi’s, is reliable for the distance to a van (some aren’t) and the sensors are interchangeable with Safety Dave.

Out of interest we put on General Grabber AT3 275/45/20 tyres about 1300km ago and they seem fine, not even noisy.
Same tread pattern as our caravan original tyres that seemed ok.

Cheers, Brett

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I went to replace the original tyres I wanted a little more sidewall so just went to a 285 around. It didnt change things too much as you can see in the attached pic but gave me 4.7% more sidewall.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts