Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas what this could be? Happens at idle in D, S or Park. Just started today. I can also hear a whistle sound from near the TB. I was thinking vacum leak but not sure. Any ideas on where to start looking into this? You can hear the whistle inside the truck with the windows up. This video was with the windows rolled up and the T in park.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Duff PCV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I have to buy the whole valve cover, or does someone see the the PCV? I saw a video where someone just replaced the membrane also. UGH.... Where can I get the part other than the dealer also?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the check engine light just popped on for this. Is it safe to drive it until I can get it fixed or is it an immediate type of thing.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above on your engine you have to replace the whole valve cover and it is several hundred bucks.

If the light stays steady, that is okay for a bit. If it flashes stop driving.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
+1 PVC. Unfortunately part of valve cover on 3.6--not cheap. Pain also because intake manifold has to come off.
Should be PCV, bloody sausage fingers. Like Nooby said CEL on steady ok, blinking not. This isn't good to drive for a long time regardless, you will want to check your oil more frequently and try and fix asap.

I thought long and hard about a way around the replacing the entire valve cover bit, but I don't think it would end well (you know drilling a new hole in the cover for an older style PCV and then sealing off the old location). Just isn't worth the possible grief and hassle.

Might do a de-carb too on the FSI when you have it torn down. Especially after sucking oil directly into the intake for however long it takes to fix.

Look on the bright side, you will be able to do a de-carb, get a new valve cover gasket (mine has a slow seep), and replace spark plugs (might as well if it is close to being due). It isn't a rocket science project, just a pain to get to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So thank you guys for all the info. Saved me from buying a new valve cover. Bought the membrane from rxtech and had it replaced today. Saved me about 400 bucks.

20170103_175422.jpg 20170103_175446.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Well done - good to know there is a way round what was, until now, an expensive fix!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts