Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible, for a 2007 T2, to lock it with just a mechanical key (i.e. no electronics in the key fob, lock the electronic key in the glove box)? I go stand-up paddling and have to wrap the key in paper towel inside a zip-lock back in my pocket and hope like hell I don't go A/T too many times in the waves and kill the key. It has a key barrel in the external door handle but I'm not sure if that requires a transponder to function.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hi Dan, welcome.
I take it you're talking about the black "plastic" looking Valet Key. The valet key will only operate your doors and ignition but not your glove box so you can take it in the water with you.
You can't lock or unlock the glove box but the Valet key should be all you need to operate your car till you get home and replace it with your smart FOB, no?
All this should be in your owner manual if you have it, you should also test all this out at home just to make sure it works out for you .
TonyB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TonyB. The car only has two keyfob keys and the manual doesn't mention a valet key. I know my profile says 2008 but there wasn't a 2007 drop-down box option, I'm guessing the cars are pretty much the same. I'll get on to a VW dealer though, thanks for your tip, and ask if they can supply one. It's too risky leaving the master key locked in the glove box and swimming with the spare...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You should be able to get a "simple" steel key (without the fob buttons) cut by any good car locksmith who has computer access to VW Germany for the key''s transponder code.

A steel key has obvious benefits over the plastic one

They aren't cheap but should be about half the price of the real thing from a dealer, some of whom don't even seem to know about valet keys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call, thanks noobytoogy. I've lost faith in the dealers over the three years I've had the car. I expect to pay for results but it seems that I keep funding their apprenticeship programs instead... would this forum be an appropriate place to find decent Touareg mechanics?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
It will never change .... i saw this many years ago with my first car and vowed to never go back ever .... im surprised more people have not distanced themselves over the years. There are other ways around warranties but most people dont try to make it happen

Good call, thanks noobytoogy. I've lost faith in the dealers over the three years I've had the car. I expect to pay for results but it seems that I keep funding their apprenticeship programs instead... would this forum be an appropriate place to find decent Touareg mechanics?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,608 Posts
Given the design of the "surf" key......it'd be an easy 3d printer project.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I bought a surf key for my MK VI Golf for when I go surfing. If I try to stash the key under the car, keyless entry would allow any door to open.
This key was $20 plus programming. Maybe they make them for Touareg too.

Technology Electronic device Microphone

www.fixmyvw.com

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I bought a surf key for my MK VI Golf for when I go surfing. If I try to stash the key under the car, keyless entry would allow any door to open.
One could try using an all metal key keeper. Someone with a better understanding of RF shielding (faraday cages) could tell you how fine of a mesh would shield your key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts