Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 V6 Diesel

So this weeks problem with my Touareg is noise from the supplementary fuel pump. Can anyone tell me what this does and when?

I spotted it because it's the noise of a motor running and it's conveniently mounted right on the back of the dash panel resonating through the cab. It never used to make this noise so I jumped to the conclusion it was wearing out and bought a new pump - that's on there now with no difference.

Can anyone tell when this pump should run and why? Quite clearly it never used to (run continuously) so something has changed. I'm an ex mechanic working in automotive design so technical answers would be appreciated. The workshop manual talks about using the diagnostic kit (which I don't have) to measure fuel pressures (which I do have the tools for) so I'm flying blind.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Take a photo or better yet a video, I am extremely familiar with that engine and have no idea what your asking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supplementary Fuel Pump Noise - Simple Fix

For future researchers - the fix on mine was to replace the fuel filter.

I suspect I bought a mankly load of fuel that has blocked the existing filter. I imagine that the pump was either running when it wouldn't normally (so I could hear it) or working very hard (so I could hear it). either way I can hear the Stereo again now so I'm calling it fixed!

Thanks fro the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts