Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my roof open on my 2012 TDI Lux yesterday. When I went to close, it would go shut, but ultimately stop and pop back up.

I've read that it means that something is stuck in the track, I don't see anything.

I'm currently working an outage at the nuke plant I work at, so I can't take the car in (4 on/1 off nights until November).

Is there any thing I can do to force the roof shut?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Some people have had not dissimilar problems and the fix has required a brand new roof cassette to be installed which is not cheap, so I definitely wouldn't force it whatever you do in case it is something simple.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Fixed" it this afternoon before heading to work.

Squirted some WD-40 in the tracks and wind deflector.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Well done. Glad you are sorted - at least for the time being.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Be careful as WD40 is a dirt attractant. Maybe use some white grease instead.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to relube with a more appropriate lubricant on my next day off.

I'm a little pissed that the tracks were in the shape they were in when I looked in. One of the reasons I paid for the 80K maintenance at the dealer in February was because I didn't want to deal with the sunroof lube. I paid them to perform the job, and it was pretty obvious that the old, hard grease on the tracks was applied at the factory.

I doubt I'll get anything from the dealership. They really seem to suck at thier jobs.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is a special purpose lub VW sell for this area. It'sexpense ,but so is a new roof Just saying. Penny rich pound foolish.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd bring it back to the dealer that did you 80k service, let them know you're aware of expensive track replacement's people have had to pay for, and say you're not satisfied with the previous 80k service because you know it wasn't done properly. Might get some money back and you'll get it taken care of. If something happens later, you'll have history to say "even though it's not under warranty, it was potentially the dealers neglect that caused..."

Just my .02 though.

I'd guess they're less interested in a potential complaint to VW Customer Care than the easy out of making it right. Plus next time you come in, if you handle it nicely, they'll probably work a bit harder to ensure they keep you as a customer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had hoped that the $500+ service would have been better quality.

I used my goodwill money to pay for it, so that's at least one small consolation. Still, the maintenance was pretty expensive for what it was.

·
Registered
484 Posts
So I had a closing problem with the sunroof on my '11 Treg today.
It was a warm day so I tilted it up to vent the vehicle while I was driving. When I got home I went to close it and it closed a little then all I could hear was the motor running. I read a lot on here about doing a reset and tried that. It didn't help.
I decided to pull apart the overhead area and pull down the motor ass'y. When I did the drive gear (picture below) was broken in half. Now I have an open roof with rain in the forecast for later tonight/tomorrow. I went to Autozone and picked up some JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy. Sanded/cleaned the parts and motor shaft. It's curing now and I'm hoping I can just get it closed before the rain.
Anyone else have this little gear break on them? Anyone know if it's possible to replace just the gear? The motor ass'y works fine and the cheapest I can find is a used whole motor ass'y replacement for $200.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is it designed to break? Looks like it's scored to do so.

Looks like it's designed to break on the score marks, but it actually broke next to them. I also saw another stress fracture starting in another spot.

The JB Weld steel epoxy didn't hold up. The roof only closed a little bit before it gave out. I ordered a used ass'y and what appears to be the gear from Ebay.
Just waiting to see which one shows up first and praying it doesn't rain like they're predicting.

·
Registered
484 Posts
With the impending rain/thunderstorm creating desperation to figure out a solution I took another good look at how I could get the roof closed safely.
I realized that using a round 1/4" long rod (I used a long vertical blind opening/closing wand) I could slowly push forward the sliders that go in the track. I got to them by going in between the rubber gasket of the back portion of the panoramic roof and moving the rod forward to push them. I did each side a little bit 'till finally the sunroof tilted down and closed. Both sides moved rather easy leading me to believe that I don't have the typical bent rail problem or not lubricated enough problem. I think the gear just fatigued and broke. Then I slowly pulled the rod out so as not to tear or distort the rubber seal I went in between. The roof is now fully closed.
Only thing is the interior sunshade will only close 3/4 of the way. I'm guessing without having the motor close the sliders there's a "sunroof closed" switch that isn't being made so that stops the sunshade from closing all the way. No biggie.
Also the front motor needed to be plugged in so that the sunshade motor would operate.
All in all I think I'm good to go and not so worried about how fast the necessary parts get to me to complete a full repair... or the rain.

·
Registered
484 Posts
So I found a gear online that matched what broke. Changed the gear and reinstalled the motor. Sunroof now seems confused as to where it is and what to do. Did some searching online and tried a few things.

1- The Bentley recommended procedure of getting the sunroof al the way closed. I'm pretty sure it was as both sections of glass met up fine. 2- Remove the motor ass'y and cycle through the functions: tilt up, then tilt down then open then close. 3- Leave the ignition on and reinstall the motor ass'y. They say it should work correctly then.... it doesn't.

2- Several recommendations saying with the roof closed, again I think it is, push up on the tilt button and hold for 20 seconds. They say the roof should tilt up after the motor cycles. This didn't help either.

3- Pulled the sunroof fuse for 5 minutes. Reinstalled... still the same.

So does anyone know which is the proper way to reset the sunroof ass'y on a '11 Treg? Can it be done with Vag-Com?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts