Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power sunroof shade in the 2016 TDI Lux I just purchased doesn't close properly. If I hit the button to close it gets all the way to the closed position then reverses about 9 inches and stops there.

I can force it to close by holding the button and releasing it at the instant the shade gets to the front. If I miss-time releasing the button it opens up again (to the 9 inch spot).

I tried the procedure for reinitializing the sunroof in the hope that it would re-set the power sunshade, but didn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, I figured it out.

Must be so rare nobody who read this knew how to do it, the trick is similar to re-initializing the sunroof.

Get the sunshade into the position where it should be by manually holding the closed button and releasing right at the end. Might take a few tries to get it into the furthest closed position before it starts to re-open by itself.

Press the open and close buttons simultaneously, after 10 seconds the shade opens. Keep pressing the buttons until the shade rolls all the way back and then forward. It should stop at the position where you started from. Release the buttons.

It is now indexed to the closed position, and is working fine for me now.

Madkiwi

·
Registered
484 Posts
I didn't even see this post until you responded you figured it out.
I had the little synchro gear on the sunroof motor break in half on me. I was able to replace the gear, but then the sunroof and sunshade wouldn't operate correctly.
I used VCDS to initialize and calibrate both. I then made sure I cleaned out the old grease from the sunroof rails/tracks and reapplied the VW grease. Sunroof works great with no noises now.
Glad you figured yours out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't even see this post until you responded you figured it out.
I had the little synchro gear on the sunroof motor break in half on me. I was able to replace the gear, but then the sunroof and sunshade wouldn't operate correctly.
I used VCDS to initialize and calibrate both. I then made sure I cleaned out the old grease from the sunroof rails/tracks and reapplied the VW grease. Sunroof works great with no noises now.
Glad you figured yours out.
So I can hear the motor turning like it's trying to retract the shade, but it's not moving. Was that similar to what you heard when your gear broke? The criminals at the shop wanted me to pay over $3500 to replace the whole sunroof. I live in a new city and miss my trustworthy mechanic back in Louisville! How hard was it to replace the gear? I don't see it listed on the VW parts list.... Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
So I can hear the motor turning like it's trying to retract the shade, but it's not moving. Was that similar to what you heard when your gear broke? The criminals at the shop wanted me to pay over $3500 to replace the whole sunroof. I live in a new city and miss my trustworthy mechanic back in Louisville! How hard was it to replace the gear? I don't see it listed on the VW parts list.... Any help would be appreciated!!
The gear that broke on mine was for the sunroof/moonroof itself not the sunshade but yes, I could hear the motor running but the roof wouldn't move. The sunroof motor was fairly easy to get to. It is located under the actuator/map light ass'y. I think the sunshade motor is mounted in the rear of the vehicle though.
VW does not list the gear seperately. They want you to buy a whole new motor ass'y. I searched the web for a replacement synchro gear and purchased the one in the link below.
I find it hard to believe that the gear would have broken for the sunshade as it's not as heavy an item to move as the sunroof is. Have you tried to using VCDS to reinitialize and calibrate it? I'm wondering if it just lost it's positioning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts