Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
It's called "wind buffeting" and it's very common and just about every vehicle on the planet.

Crack open a window by about an inch and it will go away!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It occurs in my vehicle at any speed when the moon roof is open. I bought an aftermarket air deflector that clips to the roof. It's not super beautiful but it allows me to drive with the roof open without getting a headache.
ST

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if people have ever driven a car before...

Most cars do this if all you do is only open the driver's window.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No noise on my 1994 Audi 100CS quattro...

I never had buffeting noise from the sunroof on my 1994 Audi CS quattro. In fact, I was startled to see the intermediate position used as a fix! When I compare the two wind deflectors, the T-reg's is arched; the Audi's is flat--and goes further into the slip stream.

PITA!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, this must just be a problem with SUVs, as I've had several sedans in the past (most recently a BMW 325i), and they have never done this. I could scream down the highway at 80 MPH with the sunroof open, and no problems. You would of course get some wind noise, but never the bfft bfft bfft noise I do in the Touareg.

Or maybe BMWs are just magic and have figured out this issue. :giggle:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry, one other question now that I think about it...

If you buy the wind deflector for the sunroot, does this eliminate the problem all together?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sunroof noise

My take is a bit different. Now that it's getting a bit warmer in Montana, I've begun to open the moonroof. Around town when hitting a pot hole, on our 3rd World excuse for streets, there is very audible and annoying rattle in the moonroof area. I can't quite locate it. Any suggestions or similiar experiences?

Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
sportwa72 said:
Well, this must just be a problem with SUVs, as I've had several sedans in the past (most recently a BMW 325i), and they have never done this. I could scream down the highway at 80 MPH with the sunroof open, and no problems. You would of course get some wind noise, but never the bfft bfft bfft noise I do in the Touareg.

Or maybe BMWs are just magic and have figured out this issue. :giggle:
The wind buffeting is a problem with any vehicle that has a moonroof. There are remedies that some manufacturers resolve with the deflector that pops up when you open the moonroof. Porsche's do not have this buffeting problem either. If you have ever looked at the pop up deflector in both a BMW and a Porsche, they are not only very similar, but very different from a VW one. My Jetta had the buffeting until I bought the plastic deflector mentioned in a post above. There are 2 solutions. 1) Open a window a little. 2) Buy the sunroof deflector (here is a link to one for the Touareg: http://www.weathertech.com/store/ve..._id=1017&veh_opt_choice_id=0&item_group_id=53 )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I remember that plastic piece that used to pop up when I opened the sunroof. And because of that piece I never had the wind buffeting problem. It seems like such a simple and elegant solution to the wind buffeting problem, I'm amazed more manufacturers aren't using something similar.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wind Deflectors

I have a 04' V8 and recently purchased the wind deflectors for both the moonroof and the regular windows. The moonroof deflector works great. I have not heard that awful sound since I installed it. I opted for the adhesive based one that you can buy on treg central. The instalation was quick and easy and I haven't had a problem since. The only thing I wasn't to impressed with was the rain/wind deflectors on the doors they offer no protection from the wind blowing directly in your face when the windows are down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.