Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I see a lot of posts about leaky and noisy sunroofs, the problem I have experienced a couple of times is that when I come back to my car (when it is locked) the sunroof is 'vented' open. In other words, the back of the sunroof has lifted up (but has not slid open). This has happened a couple of times....fortunately, never during a rainstorm. Anyway, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong with the key fob (accidentally pressing a button in my pants pocket).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. My 2006 has been pretty trouble free...and hope I can solve this issue before the next monsoon season... :)

Thanks in advance to all....I have learned quite a bit by reading the older posts.

Bart

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
The remote has nothing to do with it since there is no way to open/close windows via the remote in Touaregs. Hard to say what you have going on until you can get a scan done to see if there is any codes being thrown because of it.

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
Either go to the shop or find someone near you with a VAG Com cable and VCDS software to scan it for you. The later may be a much cheaper alternative.

·
Learner
5,091 Posts
Perhaps you have a special temp control feature- when the vehicle senses the interior getting too warm it opens the sunroof to let warm air out, and maybe the rain sensor on the windscreen will detect any rain and close it back again ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
Perhaps you have a special temp control feature- when the vehicle senses the interior getting too warm it opens the sunroof to let warm air out, and maybe the rain sensor on the windscreen will detect any rain and close it back again ;)
I am sure the OP is concerned about this issue and this post does not help him since there was no such thing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My sunroof occasionally tilts up by itself when I'm driving although it hasn't done it for the last few months. When I've scanned for codes, there haven't been any.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had this same problem 2-3 times in the last year. One time while I was driving. The other 2 when it was unattended. I scanned it, and took it to the dealership, they didn't find anything.

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
This is gonna be purely a guess, I am thinking a faulty switch. I have heard where the drains become clogged allowing water to enter the cabin and get into the roof lining. Could be water intrusion shorting the switch. Purely all speculation on my part.

·
Super Moderator
9,541 Posts
SamTrooper said:
odd I thought the older ones did this. The new ones do.
No, the older ones didn't do this and that was a contention for some since all the lower VW's could be programmed to do so. They apparently decided to put that feature in the new Tregs, but removed the offload stuff that some of us wanted.

·
Learner
5,091 Posts
jokes apart, I asked the tech when at the dealership today, they've only had one case and replacing the complete switch fixed the issue for the owner is what I was told.
all the best, hope this fixed it for you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the jokes and the help on this....looks like I might be due for a new sunroof switch.

I have had my Touareg for a year now, and this forum has been an excellent resource.

Bart

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never did replace the switch....but I am pretty sure the water leak was the culprit. I did wind up replacing a switch/connector under the seat that was acting up because of a leak. Before this was fixed, the car would sometimes not go into gear. Sold the car a year ago. Great driving and safe car...but the quirks and costs to repair became intolerable. I bought a Porsche Macan S...I obviously have not learned my lesson... :). Thanks again to all the folks that run and contribute to these forums....very helpful!

·
Registered
197 Posts
My R5 does this every now and then - I suspect its corrosion behind the switch - if I touch the switch, not necessarily turn it, it will close up again. It doesn't happen enough to make me want to fix it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was checking on my Touareg in preparation for the hurricane about to hit and saw that the sunroof was in vent mode and raised at the back. This is the second time this has happened while the vehicle was shut off. Googling around a bit it seems to happen to a lot of VWs and is usually switch related. I never use the sunroof so I'm thinking that just pulling a fuse should disable the sunroof. Hopefully the sunroof is the only thing on the fuse circuit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts