Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent incessant rain prompted me to check the sunroof drains of my T1 V10.
Probably got a clean first time ever, dont think the dealer ever cleared it, even though they did the sunroof TSB few years ago.
Cant believe so much was stuck in there!!
Pictures speak for it..yep, all this came out!! Water there is what i flushed the drains with....this is of passenger side, driver side will be next weekend!

Attachments

Reactions: JonyTreg7L

·
Registered
537 Posts
The other place you need to check while the wheel housing liner is out at the rear bottom of the wheel arch. There is an area that will fill up with mud, sand and other stuff. I cleaned about 0.5 kg of mud and sand from that area.

Would be a great place for corrosion to start.

·
Learner
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea unbelievable Singh how much crap gets built up in those areas.

regards
Drag
Hi Drag,
Would be better to reach in from where the fuse box is under the bonnet.
Any instructions on how to remove it? I am assuming some wiring would have to be disconnected...
There needs to be a mesh to keep leaves out

·
Learner
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other place you need to check while the wheel housing liner is out at the rear bottom of the wheel arch. There is an area that will fill up with mud, sand and other stuff. I cleaned about 0.5 kg of mud and sand from that area.

Would be a great place for corrosion to start.
Thanks, will check this out too. I removed the liner without taking the wheel off but should be able to spot n clean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Singh,

Great photos.

Did you clean the sun roof drains or the windscreen drains? I have cleaned both drains under the wheel arches, tested with water in on the windscreen but still water does not drain correctly from my sunroof front drains.

I'm trying to find the best way to access the bottom of these drains as wire/ cable wont make it all the way through.

I have a 2007 V10 and am currently dealing with major electrical issues due to water ingress from the sunroof so I have start at the top and work my way down!

Stupid sexy V10!

·
Learner
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Singh,

Great photos.

Did you clean the sun roof drains or the windscreen drains? I have cleaned both drains under the wheel arches, tested with water in on the windscreen but still water does not drain correctly from my sunroof front drains.

I'm trying to find the best way to access the bottom of these drains as wire/ cable wont make it all the way through.

I have a 2007 V10 and am currently dealing with major electrical issues due to water ingress from the sunroof so I have start at the top and work my way down!

Stupid sexy V10!
The sunroof drain, which appears to be your problem Paul, starts from the front side end of the sunroof, the drain pipe runs inside the A pillar and ends in the wheel arch behind plastic liner.
I used a wire to push down from the top, but goes only as far as the bend at the bottom of A pillar. Pull out the cover for the fuse box and you can see the joint and disconnect there- pour water here into the opened joint and it should gush out.
If not then remove line from wheel arch and clean it all up. Need long fingers or a tool to stick in that hole- theres a tub there that holds all the crap.
Otherwise you could have an issue up in the sunroof tray

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice pics.

I have to mention I tried getting to the pipe at the bottom of the A pillar (water was just sitting in the drain) on the passenger side here in Europe with no success.

I started to dig and managed to get the lid under the glovebox off, the A pillar cover, some plastic with a vent hole on the side of the dashboard and some other small bits. I had to take it to my mechanic and he said he had to take the ABS pump off.

Would be really appreciate it if you post some pictures when you will check the driver's side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The sunroof drain, which appears to be your problem Paul, starts from the front side end of the sunroof, the drain pipe runs inside the A pillar and ends in the wheel arch behind plastic liner.
I used a wire to push down from the top, but goes only as far as the bend at the bottom of A pillar. Pull out the cover for the fuse box and you can see the joint and disconnect there- pour water here into the opened joint and it should gush out.
If not then remove line from wheel arch and clean it all up. Need long fingers or a tool to stick in that hole- theres a tub there that holds all the crap.

Thank you very much!

I just had the wheel arch liner off to drain and clear the windscreen drains (blocked with leaves) but did not realize the sunroof drain came out there too.

My local VW dealer ( VW Clarkdale, Vancouver, BC) offered to clear all sunroof drains and A/C drains for a fixed one hour charge so I might take them up on that offer also.

Thank you again for your help.

Paul.

·
Learner
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thank you very much!

I just had the wheel arch liner off to drain and clear the windscreen drains (blocked with leaves) but did not realize the sunroof drain came out there too.

My local VW dealer ( VW Clarkdale, Vancouver, BC) offered to clear all sunroof drains and A/C drains for a fixed one hour charge so I might take them up on that offer also.

Thank you again for your help.

Paul.
Good to know, it's pretty straightforward once you remove the liner.
Keep pouring water and removing leaves to clear the blockage

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lovely photos. Mine gets like that after coming back from the mountains and campsites. People wonder why their vehicle's floor and A/C drains tend to get wet after a season, or two. Well, check those drains like you check the oil.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Good job guys. It is good if everybody is aware of this potential problem, especially if water gets on the electrics.

I also check the sunroof drains and plenum chamber drains. I have a 2011 and the plenum area is slightly different. The is no rubber 1 way grommet fitted and the drain hole is larger than the older Touaregs. The drains in the sunroof has 2 forward (drains into the plenum) and the rear 2 drains run down the C pillars.
The plenum area is fairly difficult to get to.
1) You have to remove the windscreen wipers
2) remove rubber strip at the firewall
3) remove plastic cover at bottom of windscreen
4) remove relay cover
5) remove relay plate
6) remove relay housing
that gives you access to plenum area.

1) jack up front and remove front wheels
2) remove inner wheel well liners

I used a length of weed strimmer plastic wire and inserted in the drain holes in the corners of the sunroof and fed it down as far as it would go.
Inserted the same wire from the plenum area sunroof drain and fed it up the way towards the sun roof.
I then used a small hose from the top at sunroof and flushed with water.
when the water made it all the way down, I knew it was clear and then moved onto the next drain and did the same.
Washed out the plenum area as best as I could.
This also helped in getting rid if any salt / grime left over from winter.

I usually check this are once a year.

REMEMBER: don't use compressed air to blow out sunroof drains unless it is at a very low pressure. If there is a blockage and high pressure is used, then there is a chance that the drain pipe might pop off the internal port and then it will be very, very, difficult to reconnect.

I have a few pics of what I done and will post it once I get back home. Maybe this will assist anybody else in keeping that area clean. Or have an idea how the dealer should do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Singh, good pictures!

I need to do this on my T2. Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to understand which is the part belonging to the 3rd picture (that one with a lot of water). Can you help me to undertand?.

Thanks!
Eric.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,444 Posts
^^I will bet the third picture is the bucket that he collected the run off in, after he pulled the plug out of the bottom of the cowl.

The fifth picture is the same bucket, after he poured the liquid out and allowed the debris a little time to dry.

·
Learner
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Singh, good pictures!

I need to do this on my T2. Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to understand which is the part belonging to the 3rd picture (that one with a lot of water). Can you help me to undertand?.

Thanks!
Eric.
Hi Eric,
Yes, the third picture is of all the leaves and mud collected in a bucket, some comes out as you pour water but a lot of it has to be wigglled out from that small hole.
Be patient, I spent 20 mins pouring water from the top and pulling down leaves with my fingers and a bent hanger....it keeps coming out

·
Learner
6,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good work singh, drain pipe joint right next to the fuse box is a bit scary...

Will put this on the list of things to do.
G'day Ragman, it is close. When the drain is blocked, usually further down i think the sunroof tray overflows rather than at this joint, and sends water trickling down into the footwell after soaking the roof liner

Reactions: JonyTreg7L

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
596 Posts
Good job guys. It is good if everybody is aware of this potential problem, especially if water gets on the electrics.

I also check the sunroof drains and plenum chamber drains. I have a 2011 and the plenum area is slightly different. The is no rubber 1 way grommet fitted and the drain hole is larger than the older Touaregs. The drains in the sunroof has 2 forward (drains into the plenum) and the rear 2 drains run down the C pillars.
The plenum area is fairly difficult to get to.
1) You have to remove the windscreen wipers
2) remove rubber strip at the firewall
3) remove plastic cover at bottom of windscreen
4) remove relay cover
5) remove relay plate
6) remove relay housing
that gives you access to plenum area.

1) jack up front and remove front wheels
2) remove inner wheel well liners

I used a length of weed strimmer plastic wire and inserted in the drain holes in the corners of the sunroof and fed it down as far as it would go.
Inserted the same wire from the plenum area sunroof drain and fed it up the way towards the sun roof.
I then used a small hose from the top at sunroof and flushed with water.
when the water made it all the way down, I knew it was clear and then moved onto the next drain and did the same.
Washed out the plenum area as best as I could.
This also helped in getting rid if any salt / grime left over from winter.

I usually check this are once a year.

REMEMBER: don't use compressed air to blow out sunroof drains unless it is at a very low pressure. If there is a blockage and high pressure is used, then there is a chance that the drain pipe might pop off the internal port and then it will be very, very, difficult to reconnect.

I have a few pics of what I done and will post it once I get back home. Maybe this will assist anybody else in keeping that area clean. Or have an idea how the dealer should do it.
On the T1 there are 4 male connectors for the drain hose in the sunroof frame, one in each corner similar to what you indicate. The drain hose female connector to the skylight frame will leak over time and the water follows the hose down the pillar adjacent to airbag and will stain the roof liner and wet the footwell. Over time the sealant just fails. I ended up using gorilla glue on on all 4 connectors. Thought the water was due to blockage but ended up being the drain hose connector. I had one fail on drivers side and rear one leak on passenger side.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.