1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Looks like a good-natured lot having a fun day on the trails!

Good to see Bob didn't need the snorkel this go-around. How'd the Q5 manage? That front looks low.

Enjoyed reading the whole thread as much as the photos. Thanks for posting.

--Chris

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, from a spectator's point of view, the crunch of much plastic looked mighty close on a number of occasions. But, looking underneath, there was surprising little sign of contact and the underside is quite smooth for easy sliding, at least over dirt humps.

Moonan's lines to compensate for lack of approach angle and low range meant that he had to struggle at times, especially in the shot where he is perched at a funny angle on top of an erosion hump.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a good-natured lot having a fun day on the trails!

Good to see Bob didn't need the snorkel this go-around. How'd the Q5 manage? That front looks low.

Enjoyed reading the whole thread as much as the photos. Thanks for posting.

--Chris
Thanks for the comments Chris, we manage to enjoy ourselves here from time to time.. As you say, the whole thread makes for interesting / amusing reading, and no, Bob didn't need his snorkle this time! Refer to http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/barringtons-weekend-23867.html for another interesting read - this time it's the story of when Bob DID need a snorkle, and of course his Touareg didn't have one.
As far as the Q5 goes, it is interesting seeing what it will and will not do. Ground clearance is 200mm (Touareg steel susp is 237), and approach angle is 25 deg, not much less than the Touareg's 28 deg. Ramp-over is more limited at 17.5 deg (T=22.5) so I was taking the erosion humps at a bit of a diagonal, but otherwise it wa smore a case of having to make a careful line through the terrain at a faster speed than I would have liked to put the engine into a reasonable torque band (with no low range). The DSG-type gearbox does not allow torque-converter-style slip like a proper auto box, so in very steep situations it tends to build up revs and then engage the clutch, launching the vehicle with a surge of speed that you need to bravely keep up with so as not to lose all momentum.

cheers,

..Neil

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Scenic & Moonan--

Wow, I didn't realize how much of challenge it really was bringing the Q5 along. As you two point out, the right line can make a big difference. But I had no clue about the DSG issue. Makes sense in hindsight. No swipe at your wheels, Neil, but I'm glad to have a slushbox in mine.

Ah, Barrington's Weekend. I think that can officially be consider as having entered Club Touareg Legend (or Infamy). It certainly has sparked a lot of snorkel commentary...

Regards--Chris

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Makes sense in hindsight. No swipe at your wheels, Neil, but I'm glad to have a slushbox in mine.
I am planning on entering some serious technical discussions with Audi experts to try and find out how DSG is designed to operate, but to me it felt like a manual, you know, when you rev it up and then "drop the clutch" - away you go (except that it decides when to go)! ...all good fun :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I am planning on entering some serious technical discussions with Audi experts to try and find out how DSG is designed to operate, but to me it felt like a manual, you know, when you rev it up and then "drop the clutch" - away you go (except that it decides when to go)! ...all good fun :)
neil it is an automated manual and not an auto as far as my understanding goes:confused:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Matthew that's my understanding too. So no torque converter, just a clutch - albeit a cleverly operated clutch. It is the detail of its operation under particular circumstances that fascinate me. The way it responded on the steepest and roughest exits from the creeks and gullies last weekend was a little surprising to say the least, and I want to learn more. First, with the ESP in Audi's "Off Road" mode, it stalled five times as I tried a little diagonal wheel lifting coming out of the first creek. I thought the game was over before it began. Not good. I'm a slow learner, so then I put the ESP back ON (normal), and it behaved like a Touareg, happily getting air under one or two wheels and continuing forward and upward. Better now, but what caused the stall? Why does the DSG not slip the clutch enough to prevent stalling?
Next question is the detail of how it behaves as going up very steep slopes at slow speed. you start up a slope, and then the terrrain makes you back off and slow down a bit - and then you gently apply power to maintain the new slow speed. But nothing happens at first, and you see speed bleeding down to nothing as the revs climb. At (somehting like) 2000rpm + (depending on the steepness and presumably the torque required for the job) it decides to send some of these revs to the road and the clutch engages, and you are propelled forward at a somewhat alarming speed. What I want the serious technical discussion about is to understand and tame this feature, and know when and how much throttle to apply to manage and control the vehicle's movement...
So, I'll post something like this on a couple of Audi forums and see if anyone knows anything useful, and am starting a dialog with my local Audi tech guy... I also want to know what use "ESP Off-Road" really is...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
good info neil. i am sure once you know the 'logic' behind the clutch decisions you will be able to drive to the conditions better. Any day not being towed by the Tata is a good day!!

·
Learner
4,668 Posts
interesting experience indeed Neil! no wonder you were shooting thru some of the hair raising sections!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts